Laminated glass

Guest expertint

Guest darkdan

I'm not saying that they aren't.

I'm saying SA is what causes the other factors to be an issue. If it wasn't for SA things wouldn't be complex.

Put a 60% SA film onto glass and throw a shadow of your choice onto it and throw a 30% SA film in the same situation. Which is more likely to break?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thatsnappyguy

I have worked for a glass shop in the past and we used to cut and install the glass for all kinds of store front jobs. I did tint quite a few laminated store fronts with dark films. I tinted a few with black-out and never had a problem come up. im not sure of the stats of black-out films, but I would asume that it would have a high absorbtion rate. ..right?

the only way that I know of that laminated glass will loose it s strenth is when the laminate between the glasses gets hot and it softens up. ( thats how we used to cut it , with a touch or lighter fluid) I have never seen lami break from heat unless I tried to break it with the torch. it litterally took like 15 seconds of a constant flame to crack the glass. so I dont think that u would ever have a problem with heat absorbtion of a film. now it if gets hot and the lami softens up, them some jack ass hits it hard enough.. well. thats a different story. a dark film other than a mirror tint will make the laminated glass loose it s strenth in this situation.

Guest vclimber

Why do some high SA's not crack glass? It is because of even heat distribution... If your 60% vlt does not distribute the heat evenly, it can crack glass. Is it likely? No. But on the converse, a high SA distributing heat evenly is a much more stable situation than a low SA film that distributes heat unevenly.

But we're not just talking about plain old annealed glass here. Take that 60%vlt and put it on Lami and why does the F2G chart go up 3 points? It's the glass.

Guest vclimber
I have worked for a glass shop in the past and we used to cut and install the glass for all kinds of store front jobs. I did tint quite a few laminated store fronts with dark films. I tinted a few with black-out and never had a problem come up. im not sure of the stats of black-out films, but I would asume that it would have a high absorbtion rate. ..right?

the only way that I know of that laminated glass will loose it s strenth is when the laminate between the glasses gets hot and it softens up. ( thats how we used to cut it , with a touch or lighter fluid) I have never seen lami break from heat unless I tried to break it with the torch. it litterally took like 15 seconds of a constant flame to crack the glass. so I dont think that u would ever have a problem with heat absorbtion of a film. now it if gets hot and the lami softens up, them some jack ass hits it hard enough.. well. thats a different story. a dark film other than a mirror tint will make the laminated glass loose it s strenth in this situation.

Nice to have glass installer give some field input. :krazy

For window film, it is not just whether your particular film is going too or not going to crack the glass. It is more important to install within the MFG guidelines and to be sure that the MFG will back you up in writting in case the glass should crack. Then you also want to make sure what the max $$$ amount of coverage will be per pane of glass so that you or your customer does not have to make up the difference.

Guest darkdan

But we're not talking about SA with even heat distribution.

We're talking about SA with shadows, high altitude, and other common problem factors.

What typically breaks glass is uneven heating (which we both agree on). What I'm saying is the lower the SA the less shadowing is going to be a problem.

Guest vclimber

Yes, on clear annealed IG. However, look at the difference on a F2G chart for that same low SA film on clear IG versus clear Laminated IG. No change in the film's SA but a huge change in the value on the chart. Conclusion... it has to be the glass. Add any other factors and it gets bad very quickly. Is it positively going to break? I doubt it. But will the MFG positively not cover for a unrecommended application? Yes, positively.

Guest thatsnappyguy
Nice to have glass installer give some field input. :beer

For window film, it is not just whether your particular film is going too or not going to crack the glass. It is more important to install within the MFG guidelines and to be sure that the MFG will back you up in writting in case the glass should crack. Then you also want to make sure what the max $$$ amount of coverage will be per pane of glass so that you or your customer does not have to make up the difference.

oh yea no doubt. especially very big jobs. im thinking about goin to work another part time tint job. so when im not at the firehouse, and when I can take off from the dealership, then ill have a " 1/3 part time job? hey, thats the life of an under paid fireman...but im not gonna get into that. u would flip out if u found out how much I make as a fireman...thank goodness tinting has got my back. sorry, I digressed..... a very well known tint shop in the new orleans area has some big commerical jobs ahead of him. he is a very smart man when it comes to tint, and I hope to learn alot from him. im not really doin it for the money as much as im doin it for more experience and film knowledge. I got have years under my belt already, but I am always happy to work with another tinter that knows more than me so I can learn more.

Guest darkdan
Yes, on clear annealed IG. However, look at the difference on a F2G chart for that same low SA film on clear IG versus clear Laminated IG. No change in the film's SA but a huge change in the value on the chart. Conclusion... it has to be the glass. Add any other factors and it gets bad very quickly. Is it positively going to break? I doubt it. But will the MFG positively not cover for a unrecommended application? Yes, positively.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

But a lower SA film will be SAFER on laminated IGU because SHADOWING will not be as dangerous.

I'm not saying SA is the ONLY thing in the world.

I'm saying that lower SA will be SAFER because it makes OTHER FACTORS effect the temperature difference less. If it's absorbing less and a shadow is present than the difference in temperature between the shadowed and exposed areas will less.

I am not preaching SA, SA, SA, SA. I'm simply saying a film with lower SA will be safer because it helps alleviate the stresses from other things.

Archived