whats the best type of cloth...

Guest Revolution

Guest Josh @ Proform

First I clean the surface using a microfiber and whatever it takes to remove bugs and other contaminants. Then I wax the paint with a spray wax or Plexus. I prefer Plexus for its anti-static properties. Finally, in areas that a present an issue with the film tacking, I use my tack solution (1/3 alcohol to 2/3 water) and a clean micro-fiber to remove access wax.

I try not to use paper towels due to their lint and propensity to scratch paint and never strip the paint of its wax. The goal is protect the paint and the wax ensures that protection from the beginning.

Guest Revolution

so you fit the film on top of the plexus Josh?

doesn't that cause lifting issues? I just always took it that wax etc had to be cleaned off as much as poss prior to fitting film.

We have been using same technique (wax before install) for a few years now... No problems... I would not use plexus as my wax however.

You will figure out that waxing is good as soon as you have to start to replace damaged kits. Removing old kits from a waxed car = 15 minutes and from a unwaxed car = hours

Guest Josh @ Proform
The best install is to have a clean car with no wax, why would you wax the car? Using alcohol will remove it anyways :krazy

Removing all the wax is a huge no-no. You want to remove "access wax" and prepare edges and any high contour tack areas with your tack solutions and insome cases I have used straight alcohol (again only for edges and tough tacking points). In some cases like wrapped hoods on Porsches I will use a wax/bug remover on the underside of the hood because Porsche and various other manufacturers have some sort of thin oil on the underside which can be hard to remove with just the the tack solution or alcohol alone.

The wax (or plexus) allows the installer more time to lift and remove debris or adhesive marks while also providing a slickers surface for the squeegee to slide the liquid from under the film.

I use Avery for the most part for installation (daily), 3m for design (daily) and have used Venture and Clearshield on occasion and have yet to ever have problems with edges lifting do properly waxed surface.

Remove access wax, prepare your edges and you should have no problems with edges sticking regardless of film manufacturer (assuming your solutions are good for your environment)

Archived