Yellow Pages Please Work

Guest baltimoretint

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest darkdan

What's sad is since I'm the cheap hack I should be scoring all the price shoppers!

But I really don't get a lot of calls. My online ad shows about 6 people a month "click" me (which means looks at my phone numbers). I have converted ZERO sales from it over the past year.

Guest darkdan

My yellowpages.com rep stopped by the other day.

First, he tried to talk me into the pay per click thing. He's all like, "Yeah, so when people search for something like, 'window tinting st paul' we can get you right at the top of the list."

So he types it into his laptop and hits enter. BAM! My website is #4 return.

LOL. Kind of ruined that sales pitch.

Then he says, "Well, you've got the silver ad, we should upgrade you to the larger ad so you'll be at the top of the list. This way you stand out."

So he opens up yellowpages.com and searches for me.....I'm basically the only one listed. The other two companies aren't window tinting companies.

LOL. There went that sales pitch. Now he's 0/2

Then he tries talking me into the several hundred dollar a month ad in the twin cities. Well, true, the cities are where most of business comes from, and that is where most of the money happens to be. However, I want LOCAL business. I'm tired of driving up there. I'm sure I lose several customers because they don't want to drive down here. I try explaining this and he keeps pushing and finally I say, "Well, doesn't the top of the yellowpages.com website say Yellow Pages LOCAL Directory?"

Now he's 0/3.

We did end up playing around with my ad a bit, added a little more LOCAL territory. Now they finally have a "window tint" category on there instead of just "Glass Coatings and Tint".

Guest baltimoretint

When I was asking for opionions I guess I should have specified that I was trying to target more of the residential and commmercial end of the buisness I would have to say there may be a differance in response from auto to res. or comm.

dollar bill in one book...cost 6K for the year

column ad in another book $325 for the year

4 yellow page books in my county

Do they work? Beats me...but to chicken to dump 'em. Still around after 15 years and not a single other shop is left from the first book. I wish I had kept all the phone books so I could list the 25-50 shops or whatever it's been that have come and gone in that 15 year span.

Guest darkdan
When I was asking for opionions I guess I should have specified that I was trying to target more of the residential and commmercial end of the buisness I would have to say there may be a differance in response from auto to res. or comm.

Well my ad says "Auto/Res/Commercial" and PPF and still doesn't do well. And I'm the only one listed!

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

There is 3 major books in my area and they keep jacking the prices up every year more and more telling us that the ad price is the sale price and unless we spend 10% more every year we don't qualify for the sale price. So to downsize it cost more than the ad you had the year before.

Screw it I pulled out of two and the third one I put a like 2" by 2" ad and do well off that and previous customers. I get alot of calls from the local autodeals ad (new and used car ad weekly $200). But I don't see a drop in business since deciding to pull out and save 10k a year.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to keep your ad smaller and spread the ad into counties nearest to your home base. Yellow Pages are fading away yet the Real Yellow Pages (ATT) and Idearc (Verizon) continue to behave as though evrything was the same as it was in the pre-internet days. Remind these bone heads that their business is tanking and you WANT A DEAL!! Play hardball.

Check this page and take the time to get yourself listed FREE (no gimmick this is the real deal)

http://www.localseoguide.com/how-to-update...tings-for-free/

:lol6

Check into web page development and get yourself a home page or at minimum a myspace page!!

Consider Google pay per click but be cautious about setting limits and a budget.

But most importantly let these YP folks know you know their business revenue is way down. Just like we have to adjust our margins when things are slower (or when someone else with the same stuff is in the same home against us!) these Yellow Page dummies need to do the same thing (and they will if you stand strong!) Tell them to make an offer you can't refuse. . :lol2

Archived