Yellow Pages Please Work

Guest baltimoretint

print ads mainly attract [happy days] older folks shopping around, if thats your target market then pages are for you..... , Invest in search local online advertiseing. :lol6. I see a steady flow of custy's with more flexible spending habits..they are looking to make things happen fast.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SCSSFilmn

I would have to agree with V4V on YP ad's being not what they used to be. The cost is high & if there is not considerable return YP, ad's are a wormhole for your advertising dollars.

You may also find that even with their business being down, they will not budge any if at all. They need to make up for all the business they've lost or going to lose.

I also would agree with lorenzo regarding older folks. My wife's business has a verizon YP ad & has since 1988. She gets a good amount of calls & business, but her business appeals to the 50+ crowd.

I myself with the film biz have no YP ad! Here in Florida, there are to many auto tinter's ad's in the YP. I feel res/comm would get lost in the YP's & the money spent would like flushing it! I run advertising in home improvement mags & a few other select prints. Those contribute to about 25% of my business. The other 75% comes from my "other"marketing. It's much more work then waiting for the phone to ring from an ad, but works for me. Its the slowest time of the year for the biz, yet this week I did 6 bids for work to commence next week, & have 3 bids scheduled for next week as of today.

One thing I will add, is that one of my tactics gets me large project work that would be impossible to get from a YP ad.

Guest rcjello

This will be the conclusion of my 1st year in business and I opened about a month after the phone book deadline. Business was good. I got the biggest ad for my area in the phone book just 1 out of 4 of them. I have seen my business about double. I'm almost as busy as I am in the summer right now. So I have to say it works great. Nothing can beat word of mouth. I've always thought that the ppl who know they are going to buy tint find you in the phone book. The ppl who get it for the first time see it on a buddy's car and ask. Not a 100% of the time but most of the time. I haven't found a form of advertising thats worth the money yet. I had the coupon on the back of grocerie store recipts, news papter ads, and door hangers. Nothing has worked consistently. I think I made my money back but thats not the point.

Nothing has worked consistently.

Seems that with this business, that's how it is. I've done a number of things.... gotten jobs from just about all of them, but nothing consistently.

Well, actually - word of mouth seems to be pretty consistent. Those jobs usually book. And when I was working for a shop I asked every customer I tinted windows how they heard about us... and 95% was word of mouth. I asked for about 6 months before going on my own trying to do market research to see what worked the best.

-R

Guest tintbuyer
A buisness card size add is just right. God knows what a quarter column costs.

Amen brother... I know I'm paying over 1.5k per year for a color credit card sized ad in just one book. I think I'm in about 15 or more different yellow pages and considering two more. All together I think I spend about 6-7k on yellow pages annually. All of these independents are killing me! There's the utility book, yellow book, and all of these local independents, which are typically stronger than the utility books in that area.

In one area that I advertise in, there are literally five different phone books. What the heck!?

I get some return on them, some more than others obviously. This year I will be tracking them all VERY closely b/c I am also going to upgrade the website and downsize the yellow page listings as many others are doing.

Hi FilmBlazer - you should check out www.tintbuyer.com (pretend you are a window tint buyer, not a window tinter). If you are interested, go to www.tintbuyer.com/dealer to join.

I also am talking to a yellow page rep. this evening...

I try to allways ask where they here about me.. most get hit off of Yahoo...

Any questions I should ask.. I am doing a advertisment at a local golf course... Most people look on line....I don't know if it is worth it or not... :dunno

well luckly my com. name is baltimoretint so that should keep me up near the top alphabeticly

I dunno buddy I think we still got ya aphabetically! :hmmm

:spit

Thats what I am thinking too... May be a waste of time and $$..

Archived