security film installation questions

just did a job where the glass was recessed about a 1/2" into the frames. I would line up my factory edges and start trimming. the corners that were at the end of my cuts I noticed were having problems laying down as it was 6mil and trying to push the film in the corner to get a nice close edge. any way of eliminating this problem to where the film doesnt "bend" and naturally want to stay off the glass.

basically, how do you trim your corners to get a nice tight edge without bunching/binding

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 mil window film, jbs+water (4 drops per 32oz h2o), double hung windows with glass recessed 1/2"

I was lining up my bottom edge, cut one side to the top (bind at the top and side where corner was), cut the other side to the top (also bind at the top and side where corner was), then cut my top edge from corner to corner. the edges werent wanting to lay down. maybe from the solution? maybe from the pressure forcing the film down with a card to cut? any and all tips appreciated as I have a few more jobs with similar style windows.

didnt notice any problem on other windows (sliding doors, wood framed casements)

Guest SHOMEURTINTS

If you want the horrible time consuming way, you can take a square and check your window, then precut the piece on a cutting table. That way you just peel and stick. That's what I do with the 14 mil films. There's no way to cut them on the glass. If you have some gaps you can always go over them with the Dow 995 silicone sealant.

Guest FilmBlazer

I would cut to size if possible with any film greater than 6 mil. If the frames are recessed and causing these problems I would consider precutting the film as previously mentioned. Good luck!

Guest tallscott

I'm guessing but what may be happening is you are making a crease in the corner where you cut. I lay the film as normal, not pressing the corners down at all, I then (with a sharp tip on the blade) make a cut at a 45 to about where the start of the cut will be inside the glass. Hold the film flat over the corner and don't let it go inside the frame untill you make that cut. Then you can push it and be OK. It works for me all the time!! Good luck!!

Guest goldtooth
I'm guessing but what may be happening is you are making a crease in the corner where you cut. I lay the film as normal, not pressing the corners down at all, I then (with a sharp tip on the blade) make a cut at a 45 to about where the start of the cut will be inside the glass. Hold the film flat over the corner and don't let it go inside the frame untill you make that cut. Then you can push it and be OK. It works for me all the time!! Good luck!!

:beer there you go..hint pre cut it, :lol:beer is worth it :bingo

If you are using 6 Mill film pre-cutting the material on a flat surface with a long straight edge is probably your best bet. It might take a little longer, but you'll save the time on installation not to be too concerned on how close you get to the edge. They have a frame lock product that is easy to apply and will add an extra barrier of security and give a very professional look to your installation up selling your customer with this product is pretty easy if they're concerned about security

Archived