security film installation questions

please dont ever respond to any of my threads again. thanks

:rollin:rollin

it may not just be in the immediate corner itself, but too long and or wide

take a straight edge along the side and top if needed, tilting it away from the edge at the corner as if you are cutting an angle, then trim the film away from the edge, maybe the thickness of the blade

I run into this on those vinyl clad windows, and commercial frames with the rubber gaskets from time to time. I usually squeege most of the water out except for about 3 to 4 inches from all sides. I then cut the film to the edge, and make a final squeeze with like the blue max, and then hard card the edge from the bottom up, I do this to try and elimanate contam. I think sometimes by doing this, I stretch or just move the film with the final pass, and then it peels away in the corner sometimes as it sets up, if I hard card it again and it doesn't stick, I cut it, but very close to the edge, hope this helps :poke

please dont ever respond to any of my threads again. thanks

:rollin

we keep a little compact hair dryer in the truck and that little bit of heat helps with stubborn corners with security films and deco stuff.

I run into this on those vinyl clad windows, and commercial frames with the rubber gaskets from time to time. I usually squeege most of the water out except for about 3 to 4 inches from all sides. I then cut the film to the edge, and make a final squeeze with like the blue max, and then hard card the edge from the bottom up, I do this to try and elimanate contam. I think sometimes by doing this, I stretch or just move the film with the final pass, and then it peels away in the corner sometimes as it sets up, if I hard card it again and it doesn't stick, I cut it, but very close to the edge, hope this helps

I do the same exact install technique

I also thought about breaking out my heat gun but then I didnt want the customer to ask what the hell I was doing. haha

it was done in Suntek with PSA ... I just went behind myself the next day and everything layed down perfectly being that it had 12 hours of exposure from the almighty heat source..

I run into this on those vinyl clad windows, and commercial frames with the rubber gaskets from time to time. I usually squeege most of the water out except for about 3 to 4 inches from all sides. I then cut the film to the edge, and make a final squeeze with like the blue max, and then hard card the edge from the bottom up, I do this to try and elimanate contam. I think sometimes by doing this, I stretch or just move the film with the final pass, and then it peels away in the corner sometimes as it sets up, if I hard card it again and it doesn't stick, I cut it, but very close to the edge, hope this helps

I do the same exact install technique

I also thought about breaking out my heat gun but then I didnt want the customer to ask what the hell I was doing. haha

it was done in Suntek with PSA ... I just went behind myself the next day and everything layed down perfectly being that it had 12 hours of exposure to the almighty heat source..

cool, I just knew I was the only one :lol:cold

I'm guessing but what may be happening is you are making a crease in the corner where you cut. I lay the film as normal, not pressing the corners down at all, I then (with a sharp tip on the blade) make a cut at a 45 to about where the start of the cut will be inside the glass. Hold the film flat over the corner and don't let it go inside the frame untill you make that cut. Then you can push it and be OK. It works for me all the time!! Good luck!!

this is how I do the corners, just could never explain it!

and precutting is for autos, :evilgrin

Archived