'04 Chevy Duramax 2500

tintshopky

Hey all! This is Jana - Derek's wife. We got a truck in overnight, it's an 04 Duramax 2500. They are wanting a visor strip and the rearview mirror mounting bracket has us stumped. It looks like it is just clipped on :rollin . Any ideas on the best way to remove the mirror / mounting bracket without the risk of popping the windshield?

Hey all! This is Jana - Derek's wife. We got a truck in overnight, it's an 04 Duramax 2500. They are wanting a visor strip and the rearview mirror mounting bracket has us stumped. It looks like it is just clipped on :thumb . Any ideas on the best way to remove the mirror / mounting bracket without the risk of popping the windshield?

do you have a picture :rollin , must be aftermarket most are torx

Guest tint_factory

if its a stock setup a #15 torx will loosen it. the wire cover just collapses toward its center, and it you need to remove the button from the glass hold it with a pair of pliers and give it a little heat from a torch or lighter, but not too much you don't want to break the glass and twist it back and forth a little till you feel it loosen then it will just pop off. You can glue it back on with a mirror glue from a part store or I use a 2 part 3m adhesive I buy at the local paint and supply.

if its a stock setup a #15 torx will loosen it. the wire cover just collapses toward its center, and it you need to remove the button from the glass hold it with a pair of pliers and give it a little heat from a torch or lighter, but not too much you don't want to break the glass and twist it back and forth a little till you feel it loosen then it will just pop off. You can glue it back on with a mirror glue from a part store or I use a 2 part 3m adhesive I buy at the local paint and supply.

why would you want the liability of taking off the mirror button? Windshields break far too easy without any extra crap.... NEVER worth the risk to remove the button to me.

Not sure which mirror bracket you have on this truck...Chevy seems to be the most diverse. I have a rule that if I don't get it off quick then I don't do the strip or at least don't do it with the mirror off....I WON"T break another windshield.

an 8" strip will still come above the mirror :eyebrows

The 8" strip is exactly what we went with. We didn't wanna risk cracking the windshield not to mention the tint strip would have been way pass the AS1.

Not sure if I was clear on what I was looking at removing. It was a black plastic box type protector. Not familiar with that type. What happened to the screw in's ?

Thanks for the help guys! :bingo

Guest scottydosnntkno

why would you want the liability of taking off the mirror button? Windshields break far too easy without any extra crap.... NEVER worth the risk to remove the button to me.

Not sure which mirror bracket you have on this truck...Chevy seems to be the most diverse. I have a rule that if I don't get it off quick then I don't do the strip or at least don't do it with the mirror off....I WON"T break another windshield.

I broke a MKZ shield on sunday trying to remove the mirror to put on a strip. $375 dollars later, and I was quite pissed off. It was an expensive day

Archived