!llegal Front window tinting

Guest Tintim

Guest Tintim
Tim, suntek do s 55% in carbon, this is what I would use.

The laws an ass...a 50% should be acceptable.

Yes we have stock of it, along with Baekart Ultra Performance 70 - which we have used. I don't think I have anything to worry about but my original post was about increased activity and I think everyone would be pleased to see the very dark tints stamped out.

This was on BBC last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...on_pid=b00b2gk6 a couple of people have mentioned it to me today.

Watch it from about 16 minutes and 20 secs - the first question the police office asks is who tinted your windows for you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest walestint

Yes we have stock of it, along with Baekart Ultra Performance 70 - which we have used. I don't think I have anything to worry about but my original post was about increased activity and I think everyone would be pleased to see the very dark tints stamped out.

This was on BBC last night http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b00...on_pid=b00b2gk6 a couple of people have mentioned it to me today.

Watch it from about 16 minutes and 20 secs - the first question the police office asks is who tinted your windows for you.

those front were way too dark

good post ... :evilgrin

How can we UK tinters get together and make a change in the law because it killing our work and sooner we're gooing to get penalised too! :rollin

I know dartzfilm do a 70% but most customers say its too light! and I try to sway them away from 50% but you gotta eat eh? :barf

Guest fimmo

complaining and moaning will do nothing to change the law.

a while back, I petitioned through my local mp about the change and got nowhere, basically its not important enough to noticed in the house of commons etc. I asked on this site for uk based tinters to write some sort of support letter so I can have them to hand to show how the law change will affect us directly and loads of tinters agreed but in the end only about 3 actually sent a letter.

in the end I received a letter from the shadow secretary for the department of transport basically telling me to back off but in a more politically sounding way lol

at the time I used johnsons, and someone from their uk dealership in southampton agreed with what I was saying/doing and vowed to help but in the end he went silent so to top it all I had very little support from the people I was trying to help and years later this is still going on. just tint legally and be done with it. if you HAVE to tint the fronts use 70% or maybe 55% suntek carbon as I do. not a great thing to do but the law is up its own arse and the police have such varied ways of dealing with this, something has to be done!

Guest Customkay

I went 1.5 years without filming a front window and decided this January to start again. No more than 50% though. Reason being, a guy came in to get his front windows removed (we didnt tint it) that came in at 35%, the letter he had been given from VOSA states that the driver and passenger windows are below 45%????? So I rang them up and they say that

0-30% they class as dangerous. Points, fines and an immediate prohibition notices

30 - 45% they class as just illigal and sometimes fines but normaly a 10 day prohibition notice

45 - 70 they are just advising its not illigal and not asking people to remove it.

He acutaly showed me his computer with the above advisory information on it, he just wouldnt give me a copy. I do however have a copy of the letter the guy got for his !llegal tints.

So the Suntek 55 carbon on top of the factory tint will keep it above 45%, I have just started using it. Before that we were using Johnsons Greystone 50%, but this doesnt always keep it above the magic 45%.

Other than that, the police did have a little bit of a clamp down recently, but seem to have stopped now. Love it when they clamp down as they send all the removals to us.

Kay

Guest potzy

Just been informed by my supplier that a window tinter close to me has just been fined £1000 for fitting 50%....thats all I know ??

I had a customer get stopped on there way to a modified car show in Cardiff a few weeks back, the rolling road block type, he had 50% on the

fronts but measured well below that and had to remove it then and there or have the car taken off the road. The old bill pushed him hard to find out

who tinted his car (gulp) the driver told him hes had it done since 2002 ( which was about right ) and been stoped dozens of times for one thing or another

bur never a mention about his windows. It seems to me that the police are now clamping down HARD and are going to go after the tinters...or so it seems and I know this is nothing new to us here but im sure things are going to change with local fuzz and trading standards taking this very serious.

Guest Tintim
Just been informed by my supplier that a window tinter close to me has just been fined £1000 for fitting 50%....thats all I know ??

I had a customer get stopped on there way to a modified car show in Cardiff a few weeks back, the rolling road block type, he had 50% on the

fronts but measured well below that and had to remove it then and there or have the car taken off the road. The old bill pushed him hard to find out

who tinted his car (gulp) the driver told him hes had it done since 2002 ( which was about right ) and been stoped dozens of times for one thing or another

bur never a mention about his windows. It seems to me that the police are now clamping down HARD and are going to go after the tinters...or so it seems and I know this is nothing new to us here but im sure things are going to change with local fuzz and trading standards taking this very serious.

Hey Potsy

Very interesting - kinda new it was coming. It would be good if you could find out more about the £1000 fine. On some cars 50% can meter below the magic 45%.

I still see far too many brand new cars with really dark front window tints and I still think this is what is causing the problem - but as long as people are willing to pay someone will always do it.

Archived