v-14 application on clear / tinted ig units

Guest samo2000

Guest samo2000

I have a installation coming up with vista v-14 on clear /tinted ig units. 10 years old. not tempered (25) 72" x 72". the absorbtion ratio comes in at 40% for v-14 which makes it a safe application however I am not a vista dealer and I have to provide the warranty for glass breakage. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any glass breakage proplems with this product?

Guest vclimber

I have. It's not the film, it's the glass. If there is a defect it may break no matter what you use. :lol2

:lol2 Question for you... If you are not a Vista Dealer, then how are you getting the V-14? :DD

I have. It's not the film, it's the glass. If there is a defect it may break no matter what you use. :DD

:lol2 Question for you... If you are not a Vista Dealer, then how are you getting the V-14? :lol2

same place I get huper from :lol2

Guest samo2000
I have. It's not the film, it's the glass. If there is a defect it may break no matter what you use. :lol2

:lol2 Question for you... If you are not a Vista Dealer, then how are you getting the V-14? :DD

cash is king. question for you. how do you determine that glass breakage is not a consequence of a film application ? I am not trying to be a wise guy I would just like to know what to look for.

Guest vclimber
I have. It's not the film, it's the glass. If there is a defect it may break no matter what you use. :DD

:lol2 Question for you... If you are not a Vista Dealer, then how are you getting the V-14? :lol2

cash is king. question for you. how do you determine that glass breakage is not a consequence of a film application ? I am not trying to be a wise guy I would just like to know what to look for.

Does that cash buy you the Vista Warranty as well?

Simple Physics. Glass breakage is a result of uneven heating and rapid expansion on parts parts of the glass while also having cool areas can push the glass past it's tensile strength and cause a break. Film can be a catalyst, but other factors usually contribute such as bad glass, shadowing, altitude, restrictive framing, etc. Every so often you will see a piece of clear glass without any film on it break due to some of these conditions.

Does that cash buy you the Vista Warranty as well?

Simple Physics. Glass breakage is a result of uneven heating and rapid expansion on parts parts of the glass while also having cool areas can push the glass past it's tensile strength and cause a break. Film can be a catalyst, but other factors usually contribute such as bad glass, shadowing, altitude, restrictive framing, etc. Every so often you will see a piece of clear glass without any film on it break due to some of these conditions.

:lol2 I use to deal with glass replacement, and we had an old saying that glass has a mind of its own.

We took a temp IG that was removed due to seal failure and tossed it on top of the dumpster, we then took turns with a round tip shovel and hit the center over and over again, and it did not break. We got it to break by simply gently tapping the corner with a pair of pliers, and both panes shattered. :lol2

You need to make sure you can do a ftg chart for the film you are using, and have the film company approve it. If you are not authorized to sell/install this film, and they wont warranty it for glass breakage, I would seriously consider selling them something else, or you maybe held liable for any damage associated with the install, especially if these units are 10 years old. The avg. life span of these units are 10 years, so be careful. Even most glass manuf. only warranty these for 1 year :lol2

Archived