Cheap Film Handler...

Guest tdmillet

save your money. a filmhandler is a waste. I have cut out of the box for 18 yrs and can cut any film including 8 mil to fit any size window. with little to no waste. I have gone to several different dealers and shop to show them how to do this. at the start they all seem a little defensive. until I prove I can cut out of the box better than they can cut with the film handler. up for the challenge any day. :evilgrin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
save your money. a filmhandler is a waste. I have cut out of the box for 18 yrs and can cut any film including 8 mil to fit any size window. with little to no waste. I have gone to several different dealers and shop to show them how to do this. at the start they all seem a little defensive. until I prove I can cut out of the box better than they can cut with the film handler. up for the challenge any day. :evilgrin

:bingo

Yes, one of the best tools ever.

Before that I would use a step ladder or pull from the floor. Sometimes boxstar. But when I use a ladder I just set the box up there. I didn't need to attach extra steel to it.

I was just trying to be red neck fancy my brutha :evilgrin

No, I put it inside the bottom of the box just to add a little support and keep the bolts from going through the box holes as I tighten up the wing nuts underneath. Sometimes there just isnt enough room to cut it on the floor when you use 60" or 72" wide film. Like I said I just cut length this way, roll it up and cut the width using heavy duty scissors (rough width over an inch).

Guest PrecisionTint

Guys, I haven't been on this site long, but I have been in the industry for 17 years. One thing I have learned is this: You can learn tips from someone who has just started as well as someone who is a veteran. People think of things sometimes based on their way of seeing the big picture, not neccessarily on their experience. Sometimes tips work for tinter A and not tinter B, just the way it is. But I have noticed that a few of the same people on this site like to bash or dispell some tips or advice just to make themselves look better. Do everyone a favor, if the tip doesn't help you, don't talk bad about about it or say it's a waste. Just move on to another post if you have nothing to add to it. You guys know who you are... just my opinion.

save your money. a filmhandler is a waste. I have cut out of the box for 18 yrs and can cut any film including 8 mil to fit any size window. with little to no waste. I have gone to several different dealers and shop to show them how to do this. at the start they all seem a little defensive. until I prove I can cut out of the box better than they can cut with the film handler. up for the challenge any day. :evileye

Well, this is an open forum and that is your opinion. I would take that challenge any day of the week. I have used a film handler for years and on most windows can cut exact size or within a quarter inch. This leaves NO WASTE per cut. AND I will spend a moment to think about my cuts and most times what would have been side waste, I can cut for other windows. I am definately not defensive, as you put it, but have seen many here with the same opinion try the handler and love it even though they blasted the use before trying. But, cutting from a box better that using a film handler, I would say probably not. Since using a handler, I get as close to factory cuts as possible, with the edges perfectly straight. Plus, one reason for using it is also the issue of contamination. If you are working on a filthy jobsite(dirty floors) the film never touches the floor. This is a major benefit to using one.

To everyone, remember, a film handler is not a waste. This was only one persons opinion, and many more of us here love what this tool provides!!!!! :rollin

save your money. a filmhandler is a waste. I have cut out of the box for 18 yrs and can cut any film including 8 mil to fit any size window. with little to no waste. I have gone to several different dealers and shop to show them how to do this. at the start they all seem a little defensive. until I prove I can cut out of the box better than they can cut with the film handler. up for the challenge any day. :bingo

Well, this is an open forum and that is your opinion. I would take that challenge any day of the week. I have used a film handler for years and on most windows can cut exact size or within a quarter inch. This leaves NO WASTE per cut. AND I will spend a moment to think about my cuts and most times what would have been side waste, I can cut for other windows. I am definately not defensive, as you put it, but have seen many here with the same opinion try the handler and love it even though they blasted the use before trying. But, cutting from a box better that using a film handler, I would say probably not. Since using a handler, I get as close to factory cuts as possible, with the edges perfectly straight. Plus, one reason for using it is also the issue of contamination. If you are working on a filthy jobsite(dirty floors) the film never touches the floor. This is a major benefit to using one.

To everyone, remember, a film handler is not a waste. This was only one persons opinion, and many more of us here love what this tool provides!!!!! :bingo

I totally agree with Customtinting ,,,,,, tdmillet Id take you up on that challenge any day of the week. Filmhandler is the ONLY way to ride. Much more accurate way of pulling exact pieces. No doubt. Just keepin it real . I work for a guy alot that owns a filmhandler and never uses it. I try to tell him make your life alot easier and use the F N Slitter..... drives me nuts,,, who wants to be bending over all day on your knees.

-SF

Archived