anyone ever prep'ed a window with newspaper

hi,

there are lot of people, forums, and some car shops that say that newspaper is a good way of cleaning/drying your windows. anyone ever done this for preping prior to tinting? is this a myth or reality? if this is reality, then it'll definitely cut costs. I can just ask for old newspapers from my neighbors... :P

I have doubts about the newspaper fibers thay may leave on the glass. I think its still better to have an mf or better a lint free cloth.

Guest A&RCustomTinting

My old boss used newspaper and water to clean the outside of the glass before he tinted and after. He swore that the ink in the paper filled in scratches that were already on the glass. But he was a big dork and a smart ass so I dont know if he was serious or just f*#@)*^ with me. :hump

Guest tint whisperer

Back in the olden days, the best way to clean windows was with vinegar and water, cleaned and buffed with newspaper. My g'parents and parents swear by it

Guest thatsnappyguy

maybe a hundred years ago, but today its the microfiber. I do not waste money on paper towels. I have some small microfiber cloths from the shell station that was free when u filled up more than $10. I use those to wipe the top eged, and I use some bigger ones to clean the job after its done. and I have never seen anyhting else work better than those new microfiber towels with a lil glass cleaner.

Guest A&RCustomTinting
maybe a hundred years ago, but today its the microfiber. I do not waste money on paper towels. I have some small microfiber cloths from the shell station that was free when u filled up more than $10. I use those to wipe the top eged, and I use some bigger ones to clean the job after its done. and I have never seen anyhting else work better than those new microfiber towels with a lil glass cleaner.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about those. I think I will try them. :hump

Guest thatsnappyguy

for glass cleaner, I get the ZEP glass cleaner from home depot. its a gallon of concentrate. put 2-3 ounces in a bottle of water and it works great....amonia free. use a heavier concentration of it as a degreaser for them r/r's...that glass cleaner is so cheap and I use it on everything. I was thinking about getting some for the house and use it around there. I bet it would work really good on the shower wall.

I use to use newspaper a long time ago. some windex on the outside and some newspaper works really good way better then paper towels. I've never used newspaper to prep before tinting. Now its just microfibers to clean before and after install. I also use the mf with my hard card. After I razor and scrub I use the blue shop towels to get all the extra dirt.

I've got to start getting gas at Shell's :thumb

Archived