97 Grand Prix and Global QDP (No rhyme intended..)

Guest LkBurn

Hey guys,

I'm having this problem with my 97 grand prix, I'm trying to put 20% Global QDP on my rear window, but as soon as I get to the top left and right curves (towards the edge) the film doesn't want to go anywhere. I've tried using Soap, Dryer Sheets (eek!), and wet shrinking. Nothing has worked, I don't know if it is just a matter of technique or just a PITA window?

Thanks,

Nick

Guest Kokomo Tint & Dent

The window isn't that bad to do in one piece, u just need to tweak the technique a lil. I prefer dry soap shrink. Try to pull the fingers to the middle to avoid shrinking so much in the corners, and maybe anchor up the sides of the tint as well as the horizontal to make a H.

Good luck

Nick also

The window isn't that bad to do in one piece, u just need to tweak the technique a lil. I prefer dry soap shrink. Try to pull the fingers to the middle to avoid shrinking so much in the corners, and maybe anchor up the sides of the tint as well as the horizontal to make a H.

Good luck

Nick also

It doesn't want to agree with me if I try to anchor an H, and as soon as I move all the finger to the middle, it seems as if fingers appear that are lower than the corners and will crease if you smooth them out. Do you get what I'm saying?

Guest thatsnappyguy

global film is no film to start out with...most professionals have issues with that film. never wet shrink global. start at the top and dont cut the bottom off yet. if u crease it, just move it up and give it another shot. shrinking is by far the hardest thing to accomplish while learning to tint. I and many other tinters have issues from time to time.. that window is cake for a pro...when I first started out, the back windows like that scared me. but u over come these things with experience.

global film is no film to start out with...most professionals have issues with that film. never wet shrink global. start at the top and dont cut the bottom off yet. if u crease it, just move it up and give it another shot. shrinking is by far the hardest thing to accomplish while learning to tint. I and many other tinters have issues from time to time.. that window is cake for a pro...when I first started out, the back windows like that scared me. but u over come these things with experience.

Are you saying start from the top and work my way down or just shrink the top from the middle?

Anyways, Thanks guys (minus tint pimp), I will try again tomorrow..

Guest Kokomo Tint & Dent

Are you saying start from the top and work my way down or just shrink the top from the middle?

I don't quite get what u are saying, but start in the middle of your H and shrink down evenly on both left and right sides of the car. Then do the same on the top half of the H shrinking upwards. What tools are u using to shrink with? heatgun, hardcard, glove ect..

I don't quite get what u are saying, but start in the middle of your H and shrink down evenly on both left and right sides of the car. Then do the same on the top half of the H shrinking upwards. What tools are u using to shrink with? heatgun, hardcard, glove ect..

I'm using heatgun and glove, but I've tried with heatgun and hardcard. I guess it's a matter of practice. I try to do the H, and I can manage the middle anchor, but when I put the two side vertical anchors, they don't seem to want to stay. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I guess that's the best I can describe it. All the fingers want to go horizontal and I know you're not supposed to shrink them like that. Then, I get the shrink going pretty well, but then these fingers appear that look like a parenthesis or a smiley face formation. I don't know where to push them, because I do anything with them, they crease. I know it's a matter of live and learn, but this back window is killing me (and it's my own car!) I must've literally tired it about 8 times, but each time is getting better.

Archived