Does anyone Know how to , set up a differential

Anyone here know how to setup a 8 inch toyota differential ? ( using a solid spacer, no crush sleeve)

Theres no place out there called ring&piniondude.com .

I have a press, pullers, dial indicators , all the shiizz needed.

Just trying to figure out how to measure backlash, Preload I have figured out.

Anyone ???

Thats about the one thing I wont do on a car cause if you get it wrong its going to eat the parts alive. I hate having other people do work on my car but a nasty whine in the rear end and chewed up bearings and gears is a bummer. Any mechanic pals you can trade services with to set it up for you?

Stop by a couple of Toyota Dealerships and check in the Service Dept, might be one of the folks there would know.

That's what I would do too.

I can do it, but I don't think I could explain it in type.

Also, if you have a friend that has Alldata at their shop, they can look it up and print it out for you...

Anyone here know how to setup a 8 inch toyota differential ? ( using a solid spacer, no crush sleeve)

Theres no place out there called ring&piniondude.com .

I have a press, pullers, dial indicators , all the shiizz needed.

Just trying to figure out how to measure backlash, Preload I have figured out.

Anyone ???

Set up a dial indicator to read on the ring gear as it rotates. Hold the pinion from turning and roll the ring gear back and forth, as the teeth make contact stop. Zero the indicator at one contact point and rotate until the gear teeth make contact in the opposite direction. Do not let the pinion turn, or you get a false reading. Backlash is the measurment between the gear teeth measured in .001". BTY A toy 8" should have approximately .008" backlash. :beer Any more questions, ask or P/M me! :dunno

Here is a great place for information on toyota axle setups. I have done many toyota 8" gear installs.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/ :dunno

thanks for the link,,, On that page is exactly what im trying to do :

http://www.gearinstalls.com/supralsd4.htm

Fit a 89 supra LSD into an 8" V6 housing , its going in the rear of my hilux.

I want to go with a solid spacer instead of a crush sleeve, and regear to 4.56 or 4.88,

Also have an Elocker for my front diff, which will be done last , once my highsteer and axle is rebuilt.

Thanks for the tip on measureing backlash, BIG E ,:beer , I ll def PM .

I need to hunt down a V6 housing at the pick and pull this weekend .

Archived