The Easy Way to Remove Tint. I did it!

Guest madmike30269

Guest bluelite
Hi Folks:

My son recently got a ticket for his tinted windows being too dark. I read through the instructions for removing tint on this website, and saw that using a steamer could work. I have a travel steamer I use for business travel. Its called ESTEAM and I think it was about $30. Its faster and more efficient than using an iron. Anyway, I took the steamer to my son's car and got it steaming real good. I rolled down the window about an inch and started steaming the top left corner. Using a razor blade I got the corner peeled and from there just kept running the steamer over the next part. It was very easy and the tint and all adhesive came off. Once you get the piece started, you really don't need a razor blade again. Just make sure you get each area very hot so it peels easily. If you try to force it, you won't get all the adhesive. Also, if you have a tear, work with both pieces to get it back to where you are only pulling on one piece. Each window took about 10 minutes with no prep work. Clean up with Windex and you are done.

I am far from an expert on this and there maybe different types of tint that have to be removed differently. I for one though was close to paying $100 to someone to do it and found it to be a very easy job with a steamer.

Mike

Pretty much the standard way to remove tint from back glass's. Not really time worthy on side windows, because you can pull the film spray with slip and scrape a roll down in less than 5 minutes usually. By the time you fill the steamer, get it hot, start steaming, etc you could already be done.

Good hint for side windows. More blades ready...

Guest scottydosnntkno
Hi Folks:

My son recently got a ticket for his tinted windows being too dark. I read through the instructions for removing tint on this website, and saw that using a steamer could work. I have a travel steamer I use for business travel. Its called ESTEAM and I think it was about $30. Its faster and more efficient than using an iron. Anyway, I took the steamer to my son's car and got it steaming real good. I rolled down the window about an inch and started steaming the top left corner. Using a razor blade I got the corner peeled and from there just kept running the steamer over the next part. It was very easy and the tint and all adhesive came off. Once you get the piece started, you really don't need a razor blade again. Just make sure you get each area very hot so it peels easily. If you try to force it, you won't get all the adhesive. Also, if you have a tear, work with both pieces to get it back to where you are only pulling on one piece. Each window took about 10 minutes with no prep work. Clean up with Windex and you are done.

I am far from an expert on this and there maybe different types of tint that have to be removed differently. I for one though was close to paying $100 to someone to do it and found it to be a very easy job with a steamer.

Mike

Pretty much the standard way to remove tint from back glass's. Not really time worthy on side windows, because you can pull the film spray with slip and scrape a roll down in less than 5 minutes usually. By the time you fill the steamer, get it hot, start steaming, etc you could already be done.

Good hint for side windows. More blades ready...

you can get away with 1 blade per but its a lot easier to use 2-3 per window

Archived