Tips for a new tinter

im a newer tinter.im from northwest indiana.every since I went to a place called show us your tints with my gf I was hooked on the %&$# james does...guy does some simply amazing %&$#.just was always to broke to get my windows done by him.so I picked tinting up.having some problems tho...like my hard cards are scratching the tint..blue max also.and I absolutly cant get the back glass shrinked.I figured best way is practice and just get some help from u guys...any videos or help would be greatly appreciated.....please guys.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im a newer tinter.im from northwest indiana.every since I went to a place called show us your tints with my gf I was hooked on the %&$# james does...guy does some simply amazing %&$#.just was always to broke to get my windows done by him.so I picked tinting up.having some problems tho...like my hard cards are scratching the tint..blue max also.and I absolutly cant get the back glass shrinked.I figured best way is practice and just get some help from u guys...any videos or help would be greatly appreciated.....please guys.

I'm new myself and I think Ive learned a lot so far, but I know I have a long way to go... ( I really like the graphics portion)

Some things that may help

Rub your hard cards on your jeans often

make sure your squeeges stay very clean, debree will only scratch the tint

from what ive read not all hard cards should be used on tint ( I use black teflon mostly and it seems ok, just to heat shrink the ends)

as far as heat shrinking:

I use gloves for the majority of heat shrinking

its is very difficult and I practice a lot, and a lot, and a lot

all the methods ive tried work, they just work differently

baby powder works well for me until I get to the ends

the soap method I think is the easiest, but I have to go very slow to do it

Heavy slip solution, I just use this for small pieces

I used to get a lot of creases when I tried to heat to big of an area at once and smooth it

did I mention practice???

Even if I crease, burn, etc to a piece I keep going till im done to get all my use out of it (then chunk it)

Try shrinking on a friends car with a relative smooth back glass

Try shrinking a small piece ( back glass's can be done in more then one piece you know, and it makes a big difference)

Where do you get your tint??? I hope not wally worl, or any auto store

I think I'm gonna try some from buy tint.com

Im gonna start a thread about buytint.com see what people say.

Oh even if you ruin a pice of tint on your back glass, like a small crease in it (nothing to major like a burn hole, haha)... still put it on and then later just practice removing it.

sorry this is a long response, but I'm s fast typer/reader so it doesnt seem like much to me.

:spit:dunno:D

:mad

whats the funny part ... buytint.com??? I know its not a name brand, but its cheap

like I said im still learning which means the tint $$$ mostly comes out of my pocket unless I do someone elses car

and if im not charging I dont care if I put crappy tint on someone elses car... HAHA

they can pay me to take it off later when it fades or bubbles :thumb

hopefully I'll be good enough to charge a descent price by then

:mad

Guest thatsnappyguy

spray, wipe, let dry, anchor the film, shrink. window tinting is very tricky even when your a seasoned vet like most of the guys here. over time you will develop you own ways to doing things. its takes alot of time and patience. dont give up because it gets easier later on, but at first it never seems worth it.

Archived