using a plastic spacer to cut around borders for fg and wshield

hi,

I don't know if this was already posted, but for the sake of sharing, here it goes:

when cutting around the back glass or wshield after shrinking, I use a small plastic thing that will glide easily on the glass surface to cut around the border. this does not only help in preventing scratches, but it also helps in seeing how close you are to the border. believe me, you won't need a light inside the car just to see the border. I did this on a 3m bc20. you just got to have a well lit environment. as for the material used for the plastic thing, I nicked an empty olfa blade casing to approximately not more than 5mm square.

after the film has shrunk to your desire, place this plastic spacer between the film and the back glass/wshield just off the edge of the black frit. with a freshly cut olfa, push it in the film and let the point rest on the spacer. tilt your olfa on a low angle and glide around.

its hard to take a picture of this, but I'll show a simple diagram. the olfa is the blade on top, gray is the film, green is the spacer, and glass is the lowest layer.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii184/s...ting/spacer.jpg

yep....most would call it the "button" technique as a lot use a button. I tried the button and didn't really like it. Recently I found that the white plastic strapping material that is very common for tying boxes together to be a good solution. Just cut a small piece and you are good to go.

Oh, and the straps are all over the places that I tint at...so I just get several pieces at a time....Lose one and no big deal.

Archived