My own window cleaning prep solution

So I've been doing some thinking and playing with some stuff. I recently tried a water based solution using a mixture of Dawn dish soap and white vinegar to use as a window prep cleaner (similar to the way one would use Dirt-Off). I've had some decent success using this mixture, getting a much clearer finished product after the film is installed. I spray the window, scrape with a razor blade, then respray (light mist) and scrub the window with a white scrubbie. Then I squeegee this solution off and mist the window again with my slip and give it a final squeegee to ensure all of the dawn and vinegar is gone. This seems to really cut through the grime and film on the window before installation.

Here's the reasoning: Dawn is a degreaser, and the vinegar has acidic properties to help cut anything the dawn doesn't get. Yes, it doesn't smell pleasant during the process, but has given me much clearer tint.

The last batch I mixed I used ammonia instead of the vinegar. I noticed the blade doesn't move across the glass as smoothly as with the vinegar. But it still cleans well. And yes, I do use caution using this method, and check for scratches. Also added some baby shampoo for a little more slip. it helped.

Anyways, just sharing with you guys. Yes, I'm still a noobie tinter, and trying out different things. Any thoughts or see any issues with this process? Probably seems like a lot of work when I could just buy a bottle of Dirt-Off and be done with it, huh? :dumbass

Guest thatsnappyguy

I just use a heavy amount of dawn and water. I find dawn / joy / palmolive...are all strong enough when enough is added to water.

Guest 4G63

Not a bad idea, but you are probably thinking a little too hard about it. After you scrape that window, there really shouldnt be anything left on it. I scrape and then scrub (probably overkill).

Guest scottydosnntkno
Not a bad idea, but you are probably thinking a little too hard about it. After you scrape that window, there really shouldnt be anything left on it. I scrape and then scrub (probably overkill).

I do both too. For the extra 30 seconds to scrub its not that big of a deal

I clean with a foamy glass non ammonia cleaner or a little soapy water. I am afraid to use much inside a customers car cause you never know if they are going to like da smell :lol

Cheers

Yea! and I dont like the smell either. :lol It reminds me of the lunch ladies in grade school. :beer

Guest Kokomo Tint & Dent

I scrub the rear window with glass cleaner, simple green, and slip all lathered up. Sides I just razorblade with glass cleaner (McGuires concentrate) and maybe some Simple Green mainly cause I really like the smell. I've heard SG works good, but who knows..

every now and then, I find there's a small bit of film or gunk left on the window.

Archived