Glue the Dots?

We have used a semi flat black krylon spray paint thousands of times over the years with no problems. The last 6 months we have been using glue but I am thinking about going back to the paint. knock on WOOD never a problem using the paint in the car :lol

cheers dudes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been using the blue elmers glue on the dots... In the last 4 years only 1 car has given us greif... All we could figure was there was someting on the glass because after the glue didn't work we applied vinyl.. and that didn't look good either :lol

The Whiteness that the original poster is experiencing is probably because he didn't 'hang dry' the film before applying glue... If there is still moisture between the film and the glass when you apply the glue it will look great leaving and then when the water drys out you will get white patches..

We also 'scuff' the dots before install with the copper chore boy scrubber.. just be careful not to run into the clear glass as the copper will scratch it..

We keep a roll of 851 vinyl around just in case... but so far have not had to touch it... :lol

If the custy doesn't like how the film looks, and doesn't want us to just cut the dots out and leave it like so, then we offer solid black vinyl applied to the dot matrix, it completely blacks the dots out and just looks like the factory black border but further down... The vinyl lays down perfectly between the dots, but is tricky to learn how to do it, as it doesn't move at all once put up, so it has to be placed perfectly...

Are you spraying the dots and vinyl with soapy water?

Yes same solution as I tint with, the vinyl just doesn't like to move once placed on the dots... It's tricky tricky :lol

It is a bit of a pain in the arse, but I never had a problem getting the vinyl to move around for me... I can only assume your trying to lay the whole piece in one shot? if so that could be your issue with it not moving for you. You need to have at least half of it off the glass to get it to move around for you..

I have tried every method know to us tinters, and have to say the glue is by far the cleanest. I agree with what was said before, I think you just need to let the area dry before applying the glue. The elmers blue is water soluble (sp?) so water will drastically affect the outcome. FWIW I use the "super tacky clear" avaliable at wally world. No problem.

Guest scottydosnntkno
We have been using the blue elmers glue on the dots... In the last 4 years only 1 car has given us greif... All we could figure was there was someting on the glass because after the glue didn't work we applied vinyl.. and that didn't look good either :lol

The Whiteness that the original poster is experiencing is probably because he didn't 'hang dry' the film before applying glue... If there is still moisture between the film and the glass when you apply the glue it will look great leaving and then when the water drys out you will get white patches..

We also 'scuff' the dots before install with the copper chore boy scrubber.. just be careful not to run into the clear glass as the copper will scratch it..

We keep a roll of 851 vinyl around just in case... but so far have not had to touch it... :lol

:gasp I had issues in the beginning with it still being wet, and now I squeegee it out really hard with a towel, then go do the roll downs and come back and peel/glue it. Sometimes it'll leave a little glue on the lgass, but since I'm putting glue on anyways I haven't seen a problem with it yet :cool

Guest GreenCove

I did an older Intrigue today and I tried to glue the dots, after it dried you could not even tell I glued them. I pretty much wasted a good 20 mins.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I did an older Intrigue today and I tried to glue the dots, after it dried you could not even tell I glued them. I pretty much wasted a good 20 mins.

squeeze out too much glue?

you need to press pretty lightly, and go slow. when looking through the inside you should be able to see where the glue starts under the film

Archived