Applying vinyl

This is the easiest way I have found so far to apply the vinyl. The first step is making the pattern for the vinyl. There are two different ways that you can get the pattern. If it is an easy shrink window I will just shrink the window like normal, and then cut off the section of film that is over the matrix once it is installed. Then you just use that piece as your template and place it on the vinyl and cut it out.

The second way is when you have a more difficult window to shrink. I hack off the matrix section before I even begin to shrink it, leaving maybe an inch left into the matrix. I do it this way, because why shrink an area that your only going to be cutting off anyway.. This makes the shrink easier, and cuts down your time as well. Then just install and remove that extra film that you left in the matrix after your finished installing. Then take the liner from the piece you just used and place it over the matrix on the outside of the glass and cut your template.

Heat the top edge of the film, so that when you go to apply the vinyl no water runs back down under the film.

Also when cutting the film away from the matrix. If you cut directl under the first line of dots, as opposed to between a section of dots. You will be able to cut thru the film much easier.

Now when cutting the vinyl make sure you put the template on the vinyl side and not the paper side. And cut you piece about a 1"larger on the top and sides, and about a 1/4" on the bottom. If you cut it exact your going to spend way too much time Trying not to have any light leaks..

Now for actualy applying it to the glass.. Make sure you wet the glass very well, and then wet the vinyl. Fold it over your hand so that that your hand is in the center of the piece. This way when you get into the car with it, you have a center point to start from. Now take you hand and try and get the center of the piece as close to the center of the window as possible! Stick the center up and then apply one side, and then the other. If you have to move the piece around, and most likely will. Pull off the side that is short and pull it towards the end of the glass until you feel you have coverage. then put it back onto the glass and check. once you have no light gaps take your hand and smooth out the vinyl to get rid og any fingers you may have, and then card it down and be done with it..

Also don't use a thin vinyl when doing this. It will make your job much harder as it stretches when you try and pull on it. Use a nice thick piece and it will be much easier for you..

Hope this helps!!!!

Archived