film for tinting tail lights

Like TD said why would you take the risk? I dont know about other states but here in AL. If you are rearended it is automatically your fault if you have something hindering your brakelights. I dont like giving money away so I think I'll keep mine stock. I think I said something about this in another post. I feel like a partypooper :twocents

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partypooper.........Nah............There are a few things on the car that should never be tinted.Tail lights, windshield, headlights all cause issues with visibility, both to you and others. Tinting out headlights reduces your sight at night by reducing the amount of lumens that hit the street. Darkening taillights greatly reduces visibility to other drivers during the daytime and at night. Tinted windshields greatly reduce visibility at night plus add interior reflectivity. Combine headlights and windshields and that is a recipe for disaster.

I would not use the Nightshade spray thingy....

I sprayed 3 light coats and 3 light coats of clear coat...and tail light itself isn't dark,,,, nor shiney,,

and the light oupput is horrible....

I switched the bulb to LED and still not bright enough during the day time...

I'd go wit film. 100%

I have applied that thing and it works good if you really know how to apply it, but dont do more than 2 coats because it gets very dark. If the tail light is smooth go with film all the way. if it is not, niteshades + clear.

"LED bulbs" are BS, filament bulbs are brighter. Tail light reflectors were designed to be used with filament bulbs, not with "LED bulbs".

Guest scottydosnntkno
I would not use the Nightshade spray thingy....

I sprayed 3 light coats and 3 light coats of clear coat...and tail light itself isn't dark,,,, nor shiney,,

and the light oupput is horrible....

I switched the bulb to LED and still not bright enough during the day time...

I'd go wit film. 100%

I have applied that thing and it works good if you really know how to apply it, but dont do more than 2 coats because it gets very dark. If the tail light is smooth go with film all the way. if it is not, niteshades + clear.

"LED bulbs" are BS, filament bulbs are brighter. Tail light reflectors were designed to be used with filament bulbs, not with "LED bulbs".

if you get a high quality LED bulb it will have more lumens than the standard one, but then if your spending $40+ on one bulb then whats the point of switching

Guest edwardd527

actually I have played with the niteshades and overall it looks like garbage and I am speaking of the work I've seen from others and the price of a can should tell you that along with the fact that there are very few products that are designed for this purpose. I have chosen to do it right and take them to my paint guy. he uses 2 coats(I think) of black marine laquer and seals with a quality clear coat.

The results are perfect every time but you lose your ride for a day or 2. This is not ok for the every day car, but for a show peice I feel it is acceptable. all cost about 2 hungee and well worth it. although to offset the "lumens" issue you will have to upgrade to hid or led witch ever is appropriate for the make.

As for the legality and safety, every customer makes many choices. some choose dark tail lights and others choose baby seats. should never be both! again this is not for honeys caravan. Besides half of the idiots interested in doing it will probly have more to worry about in terms of $$$ when they get rear ended than "someone sueing their pants off". I may be wrong but the lights just have to function properly to be a violation?

depfOH

Archived