problems

Guest scottydosnntkno
I'm confused as well seems to me like he's stickin the tint then cuttin the top? cut it all out on the outside. bottom first the sides then top. Roll window down about 3 inches, spray with water and scrape window, roll window up and scrape the bottom, then roll window down about 3 inches again, and this is where I think you're gettin dirt on the top part you may have cleaned your window but when you roll the window back up into the channel and roll it down you've pulled dirt down from the channel onto the glass. So when you roll the window down 3 inches before sticking take your paper towel and wipe from the top corner or the window across the top of the window all the way to the front of the window toward the front of the car. Then spray your water and always keep a downward spraying motion that way if theres any dirt on the window it will run down off the window. then stick you should be fine.

Once I roll down the window and wipe the top edge it doesnt get rolled up again until I install the film. I just cut the top edge, then pull the film up to the gasket on top and cut the sides/bottom and then install.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

I used to get this also when first micro edging with olfa!!!!!!! your getting pieces of the glass lil specs almost from when your micro edging with olfa. you need to be smoother and get scrapping at the window so much. hope this helps. There is a surfing method to it that stan had in one of his videos check that out its on youtube I think or pm stan! am I correct stan?

Guest scottydosnntkno
I used to get this also when first micro edging with olfa!!!!!!! your getting pieces of the glass lil specs almost from when your micro edging with olfa. you need to be smoother and get scrapping at the window so much. hope this helps. There is a surfing method to it that stan had in one of his videos check that out its on youtube I think or pm stan! am I correct stan?

You are correct, it was stan.

I just could never get the hang of the olfa way of doing the edges, so I file mine. Its easier for me.

But the same way, the film has to be dry enough, otherwise the shavings can wick under the film, and it sucks.

You are correct, it was stan.

I just could never get the hang of the olfa way of doing the edges, so I file mine. Its easier for me.

But the same way, the film has to be dry enough, otherwise the shavings can wick under the film, and it sucks.

when you start to file, grab that little piece of film that is being removed from the top edge, grab it and pull outwards with it while filing with the other hand. It helps keep tension on the film and keep it tight against the glass.

Guest h0wld0g

I dont understand the filing never done it is there a video where I can see that and what kinda file do you use. you would think it would eventually peel off if im thinking of it right

I dont understand the filing never done it is there a video where I can see that and what kinda file do you use. you would think it would eventually peel off if im thinking of it right

Sorry no link to a vid. Some will argue it peels, I did it on every car that came through my shop and I am easily reached by those customers and I havent had one call in three years. You can honestly get just as clean an install cutting super clean edges and bumping them right to the top. I've watch Norman and the guys at VIP do it many times and its just as clean. Its actually a better method honestly cause its quicker and less chance of damaging glass. Laminated glass does not like files.

Guest scottydosnntkno

Sorry no link to a vid. Some will argue it peels, I did it on every car that came through my shop and I am easily reached by those customers and I havent had one call in three years. You can honestly get just as clean an install cutting super clean edges and bumping them right to the top. I've watch Norman and the guys at VIP do it many times and its just as clean. Its actually a better method honestly cause its quicker and less chance of damaging glass. Laminated glass does not like files.

I've never had a problem with a lami piece :lol2

and I'd trust it to not peel a lot more than a shaved edge. It just seems to me that a shaved edge is going to be a lot rougher and sharper, with more chance to catch on the seal. A filed edge is nice and smooth and rounded over the corner of the glass :lol2

Guest VaTinterPMan

Just find a motion where you aren't shaving into the window as much, so its more of a smooth motion and not ruffing the window up. I still get it from time to time some glass just isn't as strong as others and it happens. Just find the surfing motion so you glide right across the film and window!!!!

Pman

I've never had a problem with a lami piece :dunno

and I'd trust it to not peel a lot more than a shaved edge. It just seems to me that a shaved edge is going to be a lot rougher and sharper, with more chance to catch on the seal. A filed edge is nice and smooth and rounded over the corner of the glass :inot

Shaving is a far superior technique. You are just running a file against the glass, to shave you must position the blade perfectly to let it run on that edge and trim it... I'm not great at it either so I filed instead but the fact you struggled to master that should show its a skill set that requires practice versus just running a file against an edge. I go to shops day in day out and meet a lot of installers and the best old schoolers always know how to shave an edge with a blade.

Guest scottydosnntkno

I've never had a problem with a lami piece :inot

and I'd trust it to not peel a lot more than a shaved edge. It just seems to me that a shaved edge is going to be a lot rougher and sharper, with more chance to catch on the seal. A filed edge is nice and smooth and rounded over the corner of the glass :dunno

Shaving is a far superior technique. You are just running a file against the glass, to shave you must position the blade perfectly to let it run on that edge and trim it... I'm not great at it either so I filed instead but the fact you struggled to master that should show its a skill set that requires practice versus just running a file against an edge. I go to shops day in day out and meet a lot of installers and the best old schoolers always know how to shave an edge with a blade.

:) to me it makes no difference because I'd rather take the easy way out and have the same result. You can only tell if you look at the edge from like 2" away. 99% of customers aren't going to, and are just going to see that theres no gap

Archived