Good or Bad Offer?

So I currently own a small shop in a small town ( pop. 2500 ). I have the chance to open a shop in the town that I live in ( pop. 90,000 ). One of my good friends on a car wash/pennzoil quick lube shop. I have been talking to him for sometime to let me rent one of his oil change bays and we finally reached an agreement of transforming one of the vaccume bays (18'x18') into a spare garage for him and a tint bay for me. I would be able to use his store front as my display area for different products and customer check out. Would this be a good idea or is a garage behind a car wash a bad idea? Its a very popular car wash located on a very popular street. We all must start somewhere but is this the right place to build up? BTW this is my first actual post, I've been reading for quite sometime now and this is by far the best tint forum. If this is a dumb question...go easy on me haha

Thanks

Exposure!! 90 000 vs 2500

What will you do with the current shop? Is it logistically feasible to expect your current customer base to travel to the new location?

If you're an auto tinter attaching yourself to another auto related service has obvious benefits. Remember, where you start doesn't have to be where you finish, build a good name and reputation and your customers will follow you anywhere.

Good luck and :cold

My current location is about 20 mintues away from my proposed location. All my customers must drive to the big city to do everyday things anyway. My proposed location is in Lawrence,KS HOME OF THE JAYHAWKS! So every year I get about 30,000 new potential customers, I just wanted get a second opinion before I just at the chance. I will keep ya'll posted on how this goes down. Thanks Again

4952_222718435547_503455547_7518693.jpg

Guest scottydosnntkno
So I currently own a small shop in a small town ( pop. 2500 ). I have the chance to open a shop in the town that I live in ( pop. 90,000 ). One of my good friends on a car wash/pennzoil quick lube shop. I have been talking to him for sometime to let me rent one of his oil change bays and we finally reached an agreement of transforming one of the vaccume bays (18'x18') into a spare garage for him and a tint bay for me. I would be able to use his store front as my display area for different products and customer check out. Would this be a good idea or is a garage behind a car wash a bad idea? Its a very popular car wash located on a very popular street. We all must start somewhere but is this the right place to build up? BTW this is my first actual post, I've been reading for quite sometime now and this is by far the best tint forum. If this is a dumb question...go easy on me haha

Thanks

it could be a good deal, depending on how much of your own money you have to put in. I would treat it like your a contractor for him, not a partner. I'm sure hes not going to give you 5% ownership, or w/e percentage of his size/volume you take up, so you shouldn't have to front your money for the displays/transformation. You have no permanent vested interest, so it should be on him as the owner to provide what is required for him to make his share of the bill.

The only negative I can think of would be the 18' depth. That would just barely be enough room to work on most cars and small SUV's out there, let alone any type of truck. It would all depend on the type of vehicles that you would be getting, but that could be a concern.

Other than that, if he pays for the setup, then I see nothing wrong with it. again, your making HIM money, so he needs to do the build out. That way, since its not your property, you don't front 2k on something that ends up flopping.

If he converts, you settle on $300 and are allowed road signage its a no brainer. Dirt cheap... In fact you may even swing floating between the 2 locations. I'd ask for a some for of lease agreement that will keep the rate the same as long as possible. It a great deal and at your age go for it!

My current location is about 20 mintues away from my proposed location. All my customers must drive to the big city to do everyday things anyway. My proposed location is in Lawrence,KS HOME OF THE JAYHAWKS! So every year I get about 30,000 new potential customers, I just wanted get a second opinion before I just at the chance. I will keep ya'll posted on how this goes down. Thanks Again

4952_222718435547_503455547_7518693.jpg

Wow Sounds good to me....

Archived