NY Tint Law / meters

Guest Toadies

There are no standards in the industry.

Each state decides how to enforce with all the pros and cons that infers.

Tintmeter:

The problem is that the states are unaware of the fact that the method used in these meters is not scientifically sound, for the reasons explained above. These meters are promoted as devices that can bring "single beam spectroscopy" in to the field, yet they are being used to simultaneously meter multiple substrates with varying refractive incides which is an aberration of the method.

Not to mention that police officers never clean the windows prior to metering them.

The window film industry, the general public and the courts deserve better.

-Howard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hang on Howard, I'm not ignoring your question. To explain better I need to make drawings and I am not the best at Adobe Illustrator. I can't just cut and paste someone else's drawing from the internet unfortunately. In the mean time, if you have films that have the unique qualities of meeting the laws and yet would meter significantly(ie more than 1 %) low as you describe, I'd love to see samples as I have yet to experience them. As far as the refraction issue, I'll get the drawings done this weekend, got to work now.

There are no standards in the industry.

Each state decides how to enforce with all the pros and cons that infers.

Tintmeter:

The problem is that the states are unaware of the fact that the method used in these meters is not scientifically sound, for the reasons explained above. These meters are promoted as devices that can bring "single beam spectroscopy" in to the field, yet they are being used to simultaneously meter multiple substrates with varying refractive incides which is an aberration of the method.

Not to mention that police officers never clean the windows prior to metering them.

The window film industry, the general public and the courts deserve better.

-Howard

Howard, while I do admire your passion about this topic, I fear it is all in vain. If the officer is unwilling to take the time to understand the limitations of his metering equipment ( which most in my area are ) then none of this does any good. Educating the law enforcement officials in one`s particular area would probably be the easier way to prevent unnecessary tickets.

In TN, our law is so vague, its left up to the individual officers interpretation of the law at the time of the citation. I have gone to court numerous times with my own customers to fight tickets that were wrote from a meter, when, in fact, a meter isn`t even valid in the state of TN. The problem here is, law enforcement doesn`t even know the law, and apparently doesn`t care too.

I know this post is kinda off topic a bit here, but I really have enjoyed reading this thread and the knowledge exchanged/contained within it. Your knowledge and tintmeter`s knowledge of this subject is amazing and I appalude you both for trying to explain and better the methods and understanding within the community of this tool.

SWT,

You are absolutely right - I agree with you. Let me explain where I am going with this which will help you to understand why I am pursuing it:

It's important to understand that laws are not made only by the legislature (both state and federal). Laws can be made by courts. It is my belief that at present, these portable tint meters are not accurate enough to be used in courts of law. They are at best "in the ballpark" but that's not good enough. If courts rule that the meter readings are inadmissible due to the reasons cited in this post, the cops will stop using the meters to write tickets.

My wife is a trial attorney. She shared with me the story of when the breathalyzer machines were first introduced in DUI cases. The early versions had so many technical problems that she could easily get defendants acquitted by challenging the accuracy of the unit. Once the quality of the units was improved and standards were adopted, she was no longer able to win those cases.

I think we are at the same juncture with these tint meters. The time has come for the science behind them to be examined. In their present state, I do not believe they will withstand the rigorous tests that courts require. Tintmeter has acknowledged that no standards exist in his industry. Think about it - no standards.

This has to change.

-Howard

Hang on Howard, I'm not ignoring your question. To explain better I need to make drawings and I am not the best at Adobe Illustrator. I can't just cut and paste someone else's drawing from the internet unfortunately. In the mean time, if you have films that have the unique qualities of meeting the laws and yet would meter significantly(ie more than 1 %) low as you describe, I'd love to see samples as I have yet to experience them. As far as the refraction issue, I'll get the drawings done this weekend, got to work now.

Thanks Tintmeter. Educate us.

Guest nicoleh

ditto...

I recently got a ticket for my tints. im in new york also... I just ripped them off and had to have them put back on but I wish I did more research... considering how obsessed I am with my tints u'd think I looked into this more.. o well ;(

the new set is just as nice!! :nope

good luck 2 u..

Guest choolzer
ditto...

I recently got a ticket for my tints. im in new york also... I just ripped them off and had to have them put back on but I wish I did more research... considering how obsessed I am with my tints u'd think I looked into this more.. o well ;(

the new set is just as nice!! :cool

good luck 2 u..

cops do as they please they use discretion only, law is just out the window and if you wanna bring it to court they will just lie in on the stand or you can spend 50 grand on a lawyer who MIGHT get your point proven lol... just curious did you get pulled over for a moving violation or specifically just for tints?

Archived