Legality of installing "illegal" tinting

KS law allows net 35% VLT on all side and back windows. Had one of our city's finest visit our shop this morning, telling us we weren't allowed to install 35% anymore, because it makes most windows illegal in conjunction with the OEM glass. (I've been tinting for 15 years now, and already knew this.) So, this wonderful enforcer of the law continues on to tell us that he will start writing us tickets if we continue to install "illegal" film. He basically tells us to trash all our film and start stocking lighter film.

Now, I've always used the "I can get fined" excuse for people wanting true "illegal" film installed. However, I really don't know if that's even a true statement. While I'm sure all states are different, does anybody know where one could find out if that's even true? I've looked, and can't find anything regarding actually installing "illegal" film. I guess what I'm getting after is what fines, if any, can they charge us with? Or, IMO, is it just a newb cop on a power trip?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tintjam65

Seems KS is net 35, but you know that

Its like NC law, you need a film 40-45% to comply

Misdemeanors do carry fines

Here's some text dont know if its to old

KANSAS TINT LAW

8-1749a. One-way Glass and Sun screening Devices; Requirements; Penalties.

A. No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state and which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with one-way glass or any sunscreen device, as defined in section 1, and used in conjunction with safety glazing materials that do not meet the following requirements:

1. A sun screening device when used in conjunction with the windshield shall be non reflective and shall not be red, yellow or amber in color. A sun screening device shall be used only along the top of the windshield and shall not extend not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line which is clearly defined and marked;

2. A sun screening device when used in conjunction with the safety glazing materials on the side wings or side windows located on the immediate right and left of the driver, the side windows behind the driver and the rear most window shall be non reflective; and

3. The total light transmission shall not be less than 35 percent when a sun screening device is used in conjunction with safety glazing materials or other existing screening devices.

B. The superintendent of the highway patrol may adopt such rules and regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of subsection (A).

C. This section shall not prohibit labels, stickers, or other informational signs that are required or permitted by state law.

D. No motor vehicle required to be registered in this state which is operated on the highways of this state shall be equipped with headlamps which are covered with any sunscreen device, adhesive film or other glaze or application which, when such lamps are not in operation, is highly reflective or otherwise nontransparent.

E. 1. From and after July 1, 1987, and prior to January 1 1988, a law enforcement officer shall issue a warning citation to any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

8-1749b. Sun screening Devices; Definitions.

A. “Sun screening devices” means a film material or device that is designated to be used in conjunction with motor vehicle safety glazing materials for reducing the effects of the sun;

B. “Light transmission” means the ratio of the amount of total light to pass through a product or material including any safety glazing material to the amount of light falling on the product or material and the glazing;

C. “Luminous reflectance” means the ratio of the amount of total light that is reflected outward by the product or material to the amount of the total light falling on the product or material;

D. “Non reflective” means a product or material designed to absorb light rather than to reflect it.

8-1749c. Unlawful Installation of Sun screening Device; Penalty.

Any person who installs a sun screening device on a motor vehicle which is not in compliance with the provisions of K.S.A. 8-1749a, and amendments thereto, upon conviction, shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

KS law allows net 35% VLT on all side and back windows. Had one of our city's finest visit our shop this morning, telling us we weren't allowed to install 35% anymore, because it makes most windows illegal in conjunction with the OEM glass. (I've been tinting for 15 years now, and already knew this.) So, this wonderful enforcer of the law continues on to tell us that he will start writing us tickets if we continue to install "illegal" film. He basically tells us to trash all our film and start stocking lighter film.

Now, I've always used the "I can get fined" excuse for people wanting true "illegal" film installed. However, I really don't know if that's even a true statement. While I'm sure all states are different, does anybody know where one could find out if that's even true? I've looked, and can't find anything regarding actually installing "illegal" film. I guess what I'm getting after is what fines, if any, can they charge us with? Or, IMO, is it just a newb cop on a power trip?

It's a private business. As long as you have your customers sign a disclosure like I do, your fine, It's on the customer, as long as they know the law.

It might be good to print out your state law on it, then give them a copy as well as have them sign a disclosure putting all responsibility on them, not you.

As far as the cop...He can not write you a citation, what is he a tint cop now?! ... :nope ... that's freakin rediculous.

Do what I said there, and you'll be just fine :spit

8-1749c. Unlawful Installation of Sun screening Device; Penalty.

Any person who installs a sun screening device on a motor vehicle which is not in compliance with the provisions of K.S.A. 8-1749a, and amendments thereto, upon conviction, shall be guilty of a class C misdemeanor.

That's what I was after right there. Now, in my 15 years tinting, I've had this happen maybe 4 or 5 times before. But, it's always been a cop on a power trip and their "threats" were never followed through. I'll be damned if I'm gonna throw away all my inventory just to please him. I believe tint laws are necessary, but in this situation I find it a bit ridiculous.

Guest tintnmoreok

I attended a IWFA seminar some years back when they were preaching legal tinting only for the whole industry. I tried that for a while and my phone stopped ringing, people stopped coming in. It was either comply with the law and go out of business or stay in business and do what my customers wanted. I'm still in business and haven't had any issues with the local PD.

You might talk to the IWFA and see what their take on it now is. At the time, they said the tint shop could be held liable in a lawsuit for any accidents that might occur as a result of a customer using darker than legal film.

As long as you have your customers sign a disclosure like I do, your fine, It's on the customer, as long as they know the law.

Now that is funny right there. I don't care who you are.

Bottom line is, it was illegal when you installed it and you being the professional, you knew right from wrong. You will be absolutely responsible for any financial ramifications from that illegal install. It could be the customer being fined, the insurance company covering an accident, or a family suing you because of a lost family member.

Not worth it.

Archived