ATX VLT problems?

I went ahead and took advantage of the ATX sale and got a roll. My problem is my meter is showing 40% as to dark. New meter so I cant say I trust it yet. Anyone else seen ATX run out to dark? Damn NC laws only give me so much fudge room. :spit

Getting ready to hang some in a TC and could realy use a quick answer :boogie

Hi Opus:

On those "too dark" readings:

Are those net (glass+film) readings you are referring to? Are you inserting the film (alone) into the meter?

Note that those net meters don't do so well at metering film only.

Not only is there a variance in VLT (as VC mentions), those meters can vary as well.

-Howard

I've been told that ATX is nomaly lighter to the meter, say 5%.

As for just film reading, no this was with a small test piece in place. Meter read out at over 80% clear and 28.9 to 30 With the film. NC doesent like any lower than 32% for inspection.

Spoke to my rep and he said it was like deja vu, same problem similar meter.

I've never had to question the products I use before I just hate to think it would be a problem with this high dollar :boogie you know!

Opus,

If you did what I think you did, then BRAVO for you. It sounds like you installed a small "sample piece" onto the customers window then took a glass+film (net) test reading. Due to variances in the VLT of clear glass from vehicle-to-vehicle, I always encourage our customers to do exactly what you did. You don't want to learn you're to dark when a cop or an inspection station brings it to your attention.

Interesting math, however:

Glass is 80%

Film is 30%

Why is the net reading close to 30% and not 80% of 30% (24%)? Here is why:

It's due to the limitation associated with metering multiple substrates simultaneously using single beam spectroscopy. There's a thread on it in "Tint Laws".

The best procedure is exactly what you did. Apply a small test piece and meter it on the glass.

One other take away from your thread:

Here again I think you did the right thing: Never hesitate to check with your rep (or the manufacturer directly) and inquire as to the exact VLT on any particular master roll you're having issues with. All the majors retain production samples and should be able to get you that information without too much trouble.

Good night to all.

-Howard

Thanks Howard for yet another and always insightful reply. People like you are why I keep coming back here. :lol2

I have to say though I just dont trust this meter. Clear glass in most automobiles to my limited knowledge is what 76%-68% VLT. Why in the world would this thing read out so light?

After carefull consideration yesterday I broke down and ordered a Pocket Detective $350.00 + shipping. Its the only other one NC recognizes for inspection. Unfortunately I cant seem to let this go and I'm willing to pay to prove myself and my meterial right and this meter a pile of :copcar .

If anyone cares to jump in here on this please by all means (I cant be the only one), otherwise I'll update this post when the new one comes in next week.

Guest tintjam65
Clear glass in most automobiles to my limited knowledge is what 76%-68% VLT.

More like fed level 70% up to 88%

88% is consider clear

meters are limited like howard said

they miss and misread some wavelengths of light

best to meter everything before installs in NC

or buy 40% vlt product

or buy 40% vlt product

All I use is 40% for cars and front driver/pass roll downs [trucks minis and suv's]. :twocents

Thanks for the percentage numbers though, still able to learn a little somthing every day! :lol2

Ok boys and girls I stand corrected. As much as I hate it my ATX was 5% vlt too dark, no problem with the meter. $259.00 for the first meter and $362.62 for the other to prove myself wrong. Add to that a whole lot of headache letting my coustomers know their mess is to dark.

I have to say though LLumar has already taken care of their part very well and fast.

I've never seen it from any other product I've gotten from them but I guess no body can be perfect all the time.

The real lesson here should be check your product a roll at a time or it could bite you in the ass later.

Ill just put this on :dunno I think I earned it!

Archived