the new Metallica CD-- Revisited

Guest TINTFXold

Guest TINTFXold

there was a discussion the other night the new Metallica CD. I finally got it yesterday. I had downloaded a couple of songs and thought they were pretty good.

the downloads, however did not prepare me for the whole CD, oh AND DVD.

You heard it here. That CD will go Platinum. I am very pleased with the not just Metallica, but, a mixture of all the Metallica CD's minus the two load installments. St Anger is, in my opinion, polished, hart hitting, and driven.

My standout fav. track is No. 7. It's got a serious hard core bounce to it. The DVD that comes with it contains the entire cd list when they were reheasing it in studio. THAT IN ITSELF FKN ROCKS. To see these guys in recording sessions as apposed to on stage is incredible. Raw and intense are the words that come to mind.

Although Randall Trujillo did not origianlly score the tracks, he will do nicely. Finger player who has some very good bass fill ins on the CD.

BOTTOM LINE, GOT GET THE FKR. tHIS IS THE OPINION OF A FAN FROM WAY BACK

Guest thetintshop

I agree FX, but I'm still listening to it. it is getting alot better tho. just as a reference, I pulled ride the lightning out today, and the new one just doesn't compare. but like I said, I'm still listening to it. I guess I expect everything they do to be same ol same ol. while I know they are gonna be a little different from album to album, it just takes me a while to get used to it. it took me a while to get used to load and reload, mainly cause all I could invision was them with short hair. it was different and I didn't really know how to handle it. this one will just take a little time.

Guest TINTFXold

I never could get used to those recordings. This Cd is hard to explain. James has his snarl back. Kirk is jamming like only he can, lars is pounding like crazy, and this Trijullo guys is the b*mb. On the rehearsal DVD, he gets wayyyyyyy into jamming. He is a wicked looking dude. :lol6

Guest thetintshop

they are trashing this cd on super joint rituals site and panteras site. speakin of, if there is no more pantera, why they do they still have an up to date, running site?

Guest TINTFXold

to answer your first question, Trujillo used to play for Ozzy. The second question about Phil an Pantera is that the way I read it is that they just arent going to record in the forseen future but arent closing the books on the band. God, I hope they dont "break up", that would suck big ole TD dick. :lol6:lol

Guest thetintshop

I hate to see them not make any more records. and pantera won't be the same with another singer. but if phil keeps it up, he's gonna od on heroin before they ever have a chance anyway. he supposedly quit after he died for four minutes that time in dallas. but now he's off into even worse than before. I hate knowing someday there won't be a pantera cause he ain't got the f*****g balls to stop takin that s**t. just pissis me off.

Guest tark101

METALLICA Producer: We Spent 15 Minutes Getting The Drum Sound For 'St. Anger' - June 18, 2003

Longtime METALLICA producer Bob Rock recently spoke to Guitar World magazine about the making of the group's new album, "St. Anger". "[METALLICA] have made records only with one another ? I've been making records with lots of people," he said. "I went through the process of learning how to make records for 20 years, and for the last 10 years I've been disregarding my craft more and more. 'St. Anger' is where it's been the best ? it's about as close to a bare wire as I think I can be, and I ultimately think that's the best kind of production. It's more about what's not there than what's there, and that's a hard thing to do. I've kind of made a career out of fixing stuff that shouldn't even be on a record. I made it sounds good ? that's part of what my craft has been. But it's so much easier when there's a great piece of music. So we tried to have every little bit of music and lyric on the album be great. When you do that, you don't have to pretty it up or glaze it over.

"I would say I've only [done something] this brutal [sounding] when I've done demos. It probably sounds heavier because it's METALLICA, but really this was a 15-minutes-on-the-drum-sound type of thing. In some case there were only two dynamic mics on the cymbals because I had to run out and play bass, so I didn't have time to set up other mics. It was just so guerilla. But we embraced that approach right away.

"When we started the first part of the sessions at the Presidio, we decided not to approach anything the way we had in the past, which was fine with me, because I couldn't work with them again if we were going to do things the same way. So I just went opposite of how I've gone with these guys in the past. As a matter of fact, on a couple of songs, there's no bass mic or DI on the bass ? the bass is leaking through the drum mics. It was a great sound, too, because we were all so close together and so loud. It worked, so we kept with that, and it really developed over all the songs we did. Some songs have more mics, some don't, but it really was all done very quickly."

Archived