PPF sealer/wax What do you use ?

Accelerated aging, 60C for 7 days. Generic, raw urethane was used (all ppf manufactures pretty much get their raw materials from the same couple of places). No polish, sealant, or wax prodcut was used on the left panel.

So as I understand it. These are non-coated urethane films in the test? And the coated films such as 3M, xpel std and prem, Avery Nano and Ventureshield Ultra were not part of the testing. What would be the effects of the Plexus on these films? Thanks

Guest AutoArmor

THANK you for posting this... I've been telling people for years about how bad this stuff is.... Some installers I know use this crap on the film before an install. They say it assists in making the squeegee slip over the film easier.... So I say "use something, ANYTHING, other than plexus". I swear it was behind all the yellowing of film. Their shop had more claims with yellowing film that most shops. Anyways. It's sad to say the main 3M distributor in the Northwest also pushes this plexus crap on the installers in the area. They say its great and use it before and after an install. Personally I use Chemical Guys Clear Seal Detailer after an install and for general care of the film. I've had great luck with this product.

I've never liked plexus...

so that sample was really only over 7 days?!!

Guest AutoArmor
Plexus Polish, or the scented version of it - Pledge furniture polish.

For deeper scratches, run your heat gun slightly over it (to shrink the scratches) and use a spray wax with some carnuba wax in it, allowing it to soak in for a couple of minutes before wiping off with a micro-fiber cloth.

As far as I know this is only recommended on Ventureshield - NOT 3M or Nano. There are other techniques for these other films.... :thumb

venture yellows fast enough as it is... I would think it would only be worse with venture shield ultra since it has such a porous finish, it would just suck up all this yellowing plexus product. I would think a good cost effective sealant like Jetseal 109 or exotic sealant like Gtechniq EXO would be best for PPF films. I like the Xpel Sealant as a freebie we give to our customers, yet we upsell them on jetseal 109 or on really high end vehicles we sell the gtechniq exo.

NEVER have we recommended plexus. only product similar to that we use...and love is chemical guy's clear seal detailer which is specifically formulated for clear bras.

plexus is for PLASTIC, not clearbras. ;)

So as I understand it. These are non-coated urethane films in the test? And the coated films such as 3M, xpel std and prem, Avery Nano and Ventureshield Ultra were not part of the testing. What would be the effects of the Plexus on these films? Thanks

I should probably start by saying that the term "coated" is a little vague in this industry. You have some films that have a chemical layer sprayed on the surface, some where it is mixed in, and some where it is co-extruded. Most all of these films could be considered as "coated," but in different definitions of the word. Even films that are coated using the same process will have different levels of durability depending on their chemical makeup.

I think the best way to explain it is that all films are susceptible to harmful chemical products, but at different levels. So on film "A" you might notice the effects of a product like Plexus in a few months whereas film "B" it may take years of repeated use to see any noticeable change in the film.

The moral of the story, is to try to direct customers to an aftercare product that won't be harmful at 12 months OR 12 years and you will never have to explain yourself down the road!

Archived