Peanuts, Maggots, Defroster Bubbles

Did an Audi A4 2010 yesterday and these little things about kicked my butt.

Anybody know how to eliminate this issue? I have heard of using steel wool and other things. What I am interested in is what WORKS all the time.

I didn't search this before I posted so forgive me if this has been covered.

I'm interested in recent solutions to this problem anyway

p.s. - film used was QDP 30%

Thanks in advance for your input :dunno

the biggest factor is going to be how you shrink the film. How does it look when you are done? If it is all wavy and wild looking the of course you will have fights.

Slip mix will be a second factor as too much will make it not want to "catch"....

The final factor would be the film adhesive, but I am sure that QDP would be much the same as Global HP and I don't have any problems with it.

Check out "The Ryk Shrink" on the TOTW pages or simply on Youtube. It will lay the film so smooth you will not believe it.

Guest filmslayer

nothing works 100% of the time and some cars worse than others . on cars that I've had issues with in the past I will steel wool them , I also will do this if they feel thicker than norm when I'm prepping back glass . don't know how you shrink but dry shrinking will help cut those down as well ...

Guest TintChattanooga

It happens on many cars of all different types I have had them go away on there own before. I told the customer to bring it back 72 hrs later and he never showed so I called him (in fear that this guy was giving me a bad name for leaving bubbles in his window) he answered and said they went away while he was at work. if they dont then I usually have to heat them with my pencil torch its a long process but it works. hope this helps :lol2

My first set of peanuts I was like :lol2 caust other wise it was flawless on a toyota avalon

Guest streetsounds

I steel wool everything that comes in the door never have problems the cars I know do it really bad I just go a lil heavy on the wool

Guest naughtydog

I use 000 steel wool all the time.

Those cars are well known for puckers...give it some stick with the wire wool and you should be good.

I soap shrink them nice and tight - dont have any issues.

Guest Crackz

listen the best fix for this issue is film tack from EWF or second best is Film On no %&$# it works awesome no issues any more since we switched to using the film tack on rear glasses

Guest tintjam65

I have found peanuts happen more with wet shrink, dry shrink with powders, switching to a film I don't use regular and temperature changes in the room.

Guess theres a need to adjust my approach.

If they do happen I heat the outside glass area above the peanut, let cool and carefully cut a small dash (-) above, below and right next to the line, then push the air out by fingernail to each cut point. This is last resort if steel wool didn't do the trick on the lines at prep.

Archived