need some tips on a commercial job

Guest scottydosnntkno
your wrong I didnt use any kind of tint I used a vinyl and I alread did the job. thanks anyways.

that doesnt answer his question of if the glass was tempered or not. If you were to do more research before doing FG, you would learn that tempered vs. annealed glass makes a huge difference in films you can apply.

Personally, the fact that you've mentioned that you applied an auto film to a FG window shows that you don't understand/know how heat gain and thermal absorption can lead to potentially catastrophic glass breakage. I had a few decent size commercial windows(4'x8') DP crack after having a 55% silver film applied. For the life of us neither myself nor my film company/rep at the time could come up with any logical reason as too why, and it was a good thing that I had my insurance because back when I wasn't big into FG, I didn't fill out the warranty paperwork for that job, and the tab for all 8 windows on that storefront came to just over $11,000. Commercial DP windows are not cheap, and you can't just go slapping any old film up on them, regardless of what is spec'd.

Hell, I'm a senior architecture student, and when we're doing our specs for buildings, granted they are just mockup situations, but we grab a sweets catalog or some sample books and pick out what fits based on its color, texture, its "pretty" factor, wow factor, etc etc. We don't care about how much the product costs(yet, we're still in school, there isn't a real budget), how long it takes to get it, how hard it is to install, or any of the important real world stuff. We design the buildings strictly based on appearance. Which is why, as others in this thread have stated, just because the film is spec'd does NOT mean that is is safe.

As the installer, I too am of the opinion that it is our job to educate the client. We are the ones who install film for a living, it is our job to know our products and do the research. If you hired a roofer to install metal roofing on your house because of the appearance, and it turns out that you can't put vertical seam metal roofing on a house(which you can't) and a ice sheet slides off and injures/kills someone on your property, are you going to go back to the installer and sue them? or at least your insurance company is? You betcha. Yes, you told him to put that on, but as a licensed professional, he should have informed you of the dangers, the hazards, and why you can't put that roof on your house.

I would very carefully listen to what MikeMN says, because he is by far one of the most educated FG installers on this board, and has seen and installed more film than I can probably ever dream of in my life. He's installed some crazy films on some crazy windows in crazy places, and has been around the window film game since basically the beginning :lock Read everything he says, and pay very close attention to it.

That was my first thought as well - due to code it might be tempered glass. Whenever I do commercial jobs I try to note what the glass type is just to get an idea what is generally used. (as well as when selecting the film) I know what the resi specs are in my area but when it comes to commercial it doesn't always seem to be the same. Many times I would have thought tempered would have been used when in fact it wasn't.

I know that in commercial the tempered/annealed line isn't quite as clear as residential. Obviously residential is any operable door/window, and any window within 2-4'(depending on code), but commercial isn't quite as clear from what I've learned in school at least. From what I understand, all the doors are obviously tempered, but as far as I know if the glass is on the first one or two floors, it doesn't have to be tempered. I believe is is 3+ stories that all glass must be tempered, but don't quote me on that, I could very well be wrong.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasnt being a dink guys I was just saying that he didnt read that it wasnt tint it was vinyl im not losing any sleep over it. he was the one that said he didnt read the whole thread and I confirmed that it was correct that he did not read the whole thread and wasnt aware that it was vinyl. no hard feelings guys. I dont do flat glass that why I come on here and ask you fine people about the things I know very lilttle about. as for the window that I tinted years ago with auto film it was a double pane window and probably tempered. its been tinted for more than 5 years now uncracked and im pretty sure I used 20% or something dark like that. not saying your wrong but I guess I got lucky on that one. thanks again

Guest untouchable

I don't think anyone is trying to be rude with you at all, so I would not take it that way. Sometimes through typing things can sound out of the context that they are really meant to be in. Looks to me people are just sharing personal knowledge for any one that may read the thread. About flat glass guys hating auto guys, I think it is just most auto guys think they can just slap film on ,and botta boom its done. How many times have you heard people say oh flat glass is cake. Its more of a frustration for them I think. I am a Auto/PPF installer that also does flat glass in that order. I try to learn as much as I can about bidding the correct film for the job. But respectfully to all flat glass guys their is more than meets the eye, with a lot higher consequence if done wrong than in auto tint. :lol2

Nah, untouchable, ALL flat glass guys DO hate auto tinters............. :lol2 .................or it could be paranoia on someones part....... :dunno ......all jokes aside, most flat glass guys do respect auto tinters for the skill they have developed. However, I do feel that alot of auto guys that try getting into the flat glass end never do the proper research and learnogn before doing it. This is why we see so many questions on why the glass broke or the seals went bad a short time after filming the glass. The unfortunate truth is that maany think that auto and flat are seemless in how and what you apply. There is much more to be learned for flat glass than auto in terms of film to glass balancing than for cars.

Archived