Has the art of the splice been lost on the new generation ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are correct about 1 pieceing BG's. However the only time i like to splice a window, is on a BG that has dots at the top of the window. Say an older mustang, i will splice my film at the bottom of the dot pattern. two reason's for doing this. First being that the less film has been shrunk the better it will stick and look on the dotted area of a BG. second if the piece of film used to cover the dots does not stick over look suitable to your customer, it is much easier to remove and replace with vynil or paint to make your customer happy with your install.

I learnt in 2 piece when I first started, because the guy I was learning from was really really old school. I was doing 5 or 6 back windows every damn day in 2 pieces. I remember volkswagens being a total pain in the ass because the defrosters were so thin, and the lexus cars had the thick lines , so no matter how good of a job, the splice was noticeable. Now, I still cant get the beetle in one piece, and the occasional 944 is a 2 or 3 piecer. I find I still have to splice on flat glass a good bit, because I do a lot of hotel work, and the lobbies have some monster windows. I woner if the guys that started in the later part of this decade really have experience splicing though.

Guest Darknesswithin

yes your are right about the younger gen doing the slice whenever they can't do a real one piece

don't get me wrong sometimes it's neccesary to do but seriously with just a little more time it turns out a little better by most putting the slice.

a tint shop up the road from me (F1 shop) does 2 pieces all the time.. they are calling it a seemless because he hides it along the defrost line

sorry but thats not a 1 piece at all... down here in Fl you'll get maybe 2 years before it starts to show it's ugly face and needing replaced..

Archived