flatglass installs

well ladies and gentlemen, here's my problem.. i mostly do auto install with around 10% flatglass. my issue is i can never get the install's as clean as the auto's... i get little hairs and contamination under the film... i scrub, scrape then squeedgie then install.. still the same little hairs WTF... driving me nuts, i'm a perfectionist so this annoys the hell out of me... any advice from the pros out their who live off this style ( flatglass) i'm trying to get more work but i hate not getting the perfect job like i can do on the cars, am i reaching to high or is it possible???? :poke

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Malcolm E Boo
I am wondering if he is reverse rolling then cutting...or if like some auto installers I have seen....cutting...then using a peel board...then installing...like cars.

Quite possibly.

geez... nah i have my film pre-cut at the supplier (i'm lazy), i dry wipe the surrounds, wet down the glass, scourer, blade, then sqeedgie, wipe edge's, small spray again then sqeedgie then i spray a small amount avoiding sides or top and then well i was taught it was called a drop peel when you peel the the top backing sheet and roll it back on itself, then holding both drop the roll and it peels itself.. was told this was the most effective way of tinting... well i guess that somes up my install, i use blumax, fiveway and hard card to finish the job, i use a corny to spray... by the way guys... over in aus the corny is a new idea...and it's great.. thankyou Tintdude for this one makes my life 100% easier. By the way Tint Junkie.... I laughed my arse off then got a little insulted ...pulling film on the floor. seriously do people do this?????? lol no hard feelings thanks for the advice

geez... nah i have my film pre-cut at the supplier (i'm lazy), i dry wipe the surrounds, wet down the glass, scourer, blade, then sqeedgie, wipe edge's, small spray again then sqeedgie then i spray a small amount avoiding sides or top and then well i was taught it was called a drop peel when you peel the the top backing sheet and roll it back on itself, then holding both drop the roll and it peels itself.. was told this was the most effective way of tinting... well i guess that somes up my install, i use blumax, fiveway and hard card to finish the job, i use a corny to spray... by the way guys... over in aus the corny is a new idea...and it's great.. thankyou Tintdude for this one makes my life 100% easier. By the way Tint Junkie.... I laughed my arse off then got a little insulted ...pulling film on the floor. seriously do people do this?????? lol no hard feelings thanks for the advice

I dont mean peeling the film on the floor, I mean having a box of film on the floor and pulling film out of it. I didnt mean to insult you at all.

Obtaining absolute perfection is hard to do with every piece of flatglass. To many variables. Are your rags or towels lint free? Installing around new carpet can result in lots of litle hairs in the area. I like to spray the area around me a little before the liner comes off. The static can attract contamination. When doing TI's or new construction, the other trades could care less about how dust and debris effect your work. I like to get in before carpet and after paint. I pull my film out of the box and on the floor, but I like to put a drop down first, and cover the box when I'm not pulling film. Residential work can involve dog and cat hairs, dirty curtains and blinds, and other crap. I make sure all fans are off, and if it's windy outside, make sure the windows are closed. Hope that helps a little.

Archived