Table Problems

Well just my luck today i purchased a whole used operation from the local Mercedes dealership that didn't want it anymore, got the plotter,all of their old film,a VERY nice and also 450LB glass lighted table.

and as you know it i had to haul the tables down 2 flights of stairs, as we get to the bottom, boom the glass breaks, of course!

anyways the glass is 78 inches by 46 and 1/8th inches and is 10mm thick glass.

talking to the guy at the glass shop he said that you cant use 5mm thick glass because of the pressure put on it when cutting, but my table does have supports in the middle so i am not sure if this is true, as you can imagine a sheet of 10mm in that size is a hefty price tag.

Just curious what others have done, i have included pictures of my table and how its setup, when the glass broke it took some of the sides off with it but you get the idea, also took a pic of the piece of glass.

Can i get away with plexi? can i get away with 5mm? whats my best goal, i do PPF and my roommate does lots of vinyl, not to much tint.

img0343ln.jpg

img0345j.jpg

img0346o.jpg

img0347ox.jpg

Thanks.

Dustin

With the supports in the middle I would think a 1/4" plate glass top should be fine assuming the supports are actually supporting the glass. Plexi won't be good if you plan on doing any cutting on it and will flex more than the glass by a lot. You could add supports if those aren't actually for the glass. A new top in 1/4" plate should be $150-200.

how about 5 mm. With a couple layers of 10 mil security film on the back side of it. That should stiffen it up enough with it having center supports. If you sweet talk your glass man he may even let you film it while it's setting on the delivery truck. That would be the easiest way to film a piece of that size and be well supportted to install security film on too. Just a thought. :gasp

Archived