Least Favorite / Most Favorite Color

i use the basic JJ baby soap and water in a spray bottle, i will still encounter silvering, but its always my own fault.

You must remember, SIlvering is caused by the film being to "dry" under it, in most cases.

This can be:

-You have taken to long to align/tack the film and need to re-soap(this is my most common problem as i am always trying to push the boundaries of how "close" i can get the film without it actually going over the edge and just overall alignment

-you have now sprayed "Too much" alcohol solution in which is drying out the film or aka replacing the soap and causing the films adhesive to tack while you are still aligning it and creating silvering.

Also remember if you have excessive stretch(Porsche,jaguar bumpers,etc) that have high "convex" or "concave" points, you must squeegee these first as they are most prone to the adhesive being pushed out.

It took me a while to understand that, although i may have just sprayed that area with soap, as soon as i stretch the tension is pushing the film closer to the painted surface and in-turn pushing the soap to the surrounding area.

To fix this you must spray and squeegee not to far after to prevent the film from having a chance to do this.

The other thing that causes silvering is overhead hand pressure and the exterior of the film being to dry, so if you are stretching the film on top with your hands, always use your palms as much as possible and not your fingers, and make sure its somewhat dry on top(so you can grip it) but not so dry your hand sticks to it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Dustin

Stealth Auto Protection

I think Douggyb would really like using the Xpel Gel in his installation to get rid of a lot of the silvering issues he is having... :thumb

i do have a bottle of the gel that Jeff sent me for experimenting, just havent used it yet, got to find a good time to use it, i have heard nothing but good things about it, i better get on this.

The gel is extremely helpful I'm doing full hood, full fenders, bumper and mirrors on a 2012 black Porche Cayenne. I ran out of gel and used some hand sanitizer on it, and it actually worked really well it was like mixing alcohol with the xpel gel.

Archived