Opportunity Knocks

dsilversey

I have an opportunity to open a automotive shop in a great location. I started with automotive almost 22 years ago. Our flat glass business has grown tremendously over the years. Although we really never abandoned automotive, it has been put on the back burner. This location is one I can't really pass up! Getting to the point.... I am looking for advice on the latest cutting systems. Back in the early 2000's (before I sold the auto shop) we were using Tint Tek and also Llumar's software. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance

I have always cut my patterns by hand. and typically i am faster then the machine. also plotters cannot see the differences in gaskets and compensate for worn regulators. my advice is skip the plotter and find a good tinter. will save ya 5g's or so up front and more in the long run

I would have to vote for hand cutting as well. Unless you are doing alot of dealership work were you tint several of the same makes of cars a day. If this is the case then the plotter will be helpful.

The only shop I ever worked for that the plotter setup work well for was one guy cutting film all day for 2 tinters installing film all day. Unless you have that kind of volume I would stick to hand cutting. However thats just me. :dunno

I was the second shop in the country to start with Llumars Precisioncut, I recently parted ways with them when you no longer a person and just a customer number and switched to Tint Tek V10 version. Nothing will touch this, NOTHING, user friendly, customer support that is nothing less then awesome!!!! You can blow off how y'all can cut fasater then the machine, whatever!!!!! 2012 will mark our silver anniversary for our shop, I get out of bed to make money, its all about the money, nothing else. Tink Tek patterns are second to none, they will cut more consistant EVERY TIME then you'll ever do by hand. I'm all about the art of business. I cut all 4 doors and backglass out at one shot in about 45 seconds, Don;t even bother telling me, cuz I dont wanna hear it!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I do alot of work by hand for a hot rod client that his project cars start at 125k. But flat out everyday work, BMW, Mazda, Ford or whatever, i'll drive right by you!!!!! Seriously, call Andy at Tint Tek, tell him I sent ya, hell call me, I'll talk to you myself!!!! Its easier to sell a job to a guy with a 7 series BMW that you doing it all computer cut vs. cutting it on the car, it will make him feel more at ease. I get very good money for my work, and upslling it that its cut by machine helps a ton!!! That and I have an immaculate shop. Image is everything when chasing the big money!!!

I was the second shop in the country to start with Llumars Precisioncut, I recently parted ways with them when you no longer a person and just a customer number and switched to Tint Tek V10 version. Nothing will touch this, NOTHING, user friendly, customer support that is nothing less then awesome!!!! You can blow off how y'all can cut fasater then the machine, whatever!!!!! 2012 will mark our silver anniversary for our shop, I get out of bed to make money, its all about the money, nothing else. Tink Tek patterns are second to none, they will cut more consistant EVERY TIME then you'll ever do by hand. I'm all about the art of business. I cut all 4 doors and backglass out at one shot in about 45 seconds, Don;t even bother telling me, cuz I dont wanna hear it!!!! Now don't get me wrong, I do alot of work by hand for a hot rod client that his project cars start at 125k. But flat out everyday work, BMW, Mazda, Ford or whatever, i'll drive right by you!!!!! Seriously, call Andy at Tint Tek, tell him I sent ya, hell call me, I'll talk to you myself!!!! Its easier to sell a job to a guy with a 7 series BMW that you doing it all computer cut vs. cutting it on the car, it will make him feel more at ease. I get very good money for my work, and upslling it that its cut by machine helps a ton!!! That and I have an immaculate shop. Image is everything when chasing the big money!!!

I'll vouche for the new Tint Tek V10 and service .. Just great ! I'm a great hand cutter , have been for 25 yrs but I would never go back to not having it , especially if you do repetitive dealer work. 

LOOK!!!! Even the Canadians know I am right!!!! hahahaha in all honesty, Andy and Becky and the crew up there in the great white north got it going on!! Makes my life so much easier and EFFICIENT!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys for the feedback. I know Andy,,, We used to use Tint Tek 20/20 in the early 2000's.I am also looking at Film Designs. We will probably hand cut for a while before we purchase a cutting system. Our new location is within 2 miles of 17 dealerships. I don't nessarily love dealer work, but I agree wiyh accent, I wake up to make money. I was also a Llumar dealer for 15 years plus, I know what you mean!

Archived