2005 Acura TL

2005 Acura TL

05acura-tl.jpg

Apr 27 2005, 11:37 AM

Hey guys, I've researched this issue quite a bit and thought I could get some advice. I bought a 05 TL and I made an appt. at a local place. My GF is the one who recommended them, but I noticed all of the concerns about scratching tint due to no felt and a tight rubber seal. When I asked the tint place, they were not aware of any problems. So I called the dealer and they said it "absolutely WILL scratch." They understand the problem and said it will not be extremely noticeable. They also told me to watch out for the tint place bending the gaskets down and said they are impossible to fix because they are attached to the panel ($650/each is what he said). On my GF's car, they did bend her seals down and I cannot get them back up, so I know he's not lying on this one. So should I go to this place, or just go back to the dealer to have it done seeing as how they will take care of any damage that is done? The cost difference is $140 vs. $200. I'm leaning towards the dealership. Any advice??

650 for each felt? or each panel? Take it to a professional shop, and ask them if they remove the panels or not, then you'll know where to take it. good luck.

650 for the panel evilgrin.gif A reputable tint shop can and will install felt to the panel once it is removed for tinting. Tint can be applied with and without pulling the panel... many prefer pulling. It is not recommended to fold the rubber down, unless you flip it back up immediately following film install. heh.gif An upcharge for felt added will save you a bundle in time and money long term. Get it done right the first go 'round. TL's do scratch window film so find a shop that can and will add this service to the tint install. Where are you located? Maybe this board can find a place nearby for you.

I'm in Houston....thanks for the advice. At this point I don't know who to trust. At least with the dealer I know any F-ups will be handled by them. If Joe-Shmoe pulls the panels off and messes something up, I'm F'd. Sorry, I know there are a lot of good professionals out there, but it's hard to sort the good from the bad. I was also recommended to Extreme Tint on 1960, they wanted $215. I don't mind paying a bit more if I know it will be done right. Thanks

There are board members who are in Texas, go look up the map and see which is closest of driving distance. The price you posted seems fair to get your car done, if at all you have concerns about a certain shop, go visit them ask to see some of the cars they've done, any referrals, stuff like that, just to get a peace of mind.

Click here to view the article

Archived