Alternatives to Ammonia

Alternatives to Ammonia

fireman729 Jun 17 2003, 05:00 AM

I used some "Orange Blast" degreaser on a strip job yesterday. I sweated off the back glass on a 94 camry in an hour using this stuff!! I then used the same stuff to take the glue off. No gumming up or anything. It might of been a fluke, but the film was purple and blistered and seperated when I tried to pull it off without doing anything to it. I got it at Wal-Mart. Low prices. Everyday. :lol :lol

tintsem Jun 17 2003, 05:33 AM

I'll have to give it a try.

pierce8468 Jun 17 2003, 05:59 AM

cant hurt to try it thanks for the tip

DontWorryItWillDry Jun 17 2003, 06:31 AM

Low prices. Everyday. :lol :lol

Sounds like some of my competition, with the matching quality as some of Wal-Marts Tawianese products. :shoot1 extreme low ballers :shoot3

Fireman, does this Oarange Blast leave a residue on the glass?

fireman729 Jun 17 2003, 08:09 AM

No residue. I have tried some oil based cleaners, like acetone, and it leaves a slime on the glass. This stuff was like using glass cleaner. Left the glass dry and oil free. Hope this stuff works for you cause huffin' ammonia isn't good for ya'.

metint Jun 17 2003, 08:13 AM

I've used windex with ammonia-d for years with great results, too.

Also heard purple 409 or simple green work well for sweating.

Although, I am curious why the adhesive did not come off with the film and plastic ?

:dunno

DontWorryItWillDry Jun 17 2003, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the tip Fire! As much as I dread doing cars, I need to take my moms 15 year old Llumar bronze off her 88 Legend. And I'll have someone else tint it again because she wants to keep that thing.

Ever here We spray on the easy stripper II cover with black garbage bag and put in sun, comes right off, glue and everything. :beer

IBtintn Jun 17 2003, 11:22 AM

whats easy stripper? i use simple green cover with a garbage bag. even on cooler rainy days it works well. just gotta let it sit longer. smile.gif

MDIZZLE Jun 17 2003, 05:20 PM

i use 409 and simple pink

Tint Guru Jun 17 2003, 06:11 PM

I use my tint soloution baby shampoo and water for sweating.

Here is a tip for ya, heat shrink the piece you are going to use and use that insted of the garbage bag, :bs it wont fall down and fits in there like a glove. When you pull it off you are ready to hang it after a quick once over. 8)

Braud Spectrum Jun 17 2003, 06:13 PM

I steam the film off and if any glue's left I use 409. Usually makes it kinda snotty ...then wipes right off... but I've had some that even 409 didn't cut the adhesive on. Seems like it's the ones that don't have failure that the adhesive is difficult on. Just being redone for maybe got buggered up with baby seat or bought it tinted and it's too dark. I'm willing to try anything. Thanks for the tip. fireman. :cool

I don't know which film mfg it is but... any of yall noticed that somebody's adhesive stinks! :shock Nearly makes me sick to smell it.

DontWorryItWillDry Jun 17 2003, 10:52 PM

:bs , I think that's LLumars old PS.

DontWorryItWillDry Jun 17 2003, 10:56 PM

TSurf, when you said EZ Stripper I thought you were referring to Miss DWIWD. Then I realized you were referring to a solution...where do you get it and does it leave a residue? Also, the adhesive comes off with ANY film manufacturers adhesive and length of time it's been on the car?

TinterRich Jun 17 2003, 11:05 PM

I have used Kleen Ez (pink stuff) for years and it works great every time, I save the liners fro I have a secret cleaner that, I crud you not, will take the adhesive off in minutes... but i WONT TELL :lol

MDIZZLE Jun 19 2003, 03:44 AM

squeej uses cat urine.

tintfx Jun 20 2003, 06:02 AM

from TinterRich

I save the liners from more common rear windows and label them (model and year) so when I need to sweat a window I just find the fitting liner from my stash and lay it up...fits perfect..even the defrost tabs are cut out..and it's pre-shrunk

TIP OF THE WEEK NOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That gets my vote.

the chemical I use is called (and this is how its spelled) De-Solve-It. It does EVERYTHING, and I mean Everything. You can even wash your clothes in it. Discovered it about 5 months ago.

Braud Spectrum Jun 20 2003, 06:10 AM

"have a secret cleaner that, I crud you not, will take the adhesive off in minutes... but i WONT TELL "

Awwwwwwww...See there fx ? I knew you were a big ole softy after all.

tintfx Jun 20 2003, 06:15 AM

yea, I'm gettin soft. I guess I'll let TTS be the resident wrinkle :lol

Braud Spectrum Jun 20 2003, 06:17 AM

:lol6

tintfx Jun 20 2003, 06:19 AM

not really, though. I'll still thump my chest when need be.

Click here to view the article

Archived