3M 1080 Carbon Fibre Same As 3M Scotchcal Vinyl?

Guest griffin dai

Guest griffin dai

Is this the same stuff as 1080 or a new 3M product? I'm looking at covering a few interior parts in my car and was thinking either the Hexis c/f vinyl or 3M 1080, then stumbled across '3M Scotchcal'

Have used 3M Di-Noc and the cheaper Ebay 3D c/f vinyl in the past but want a more of a sheen to the finish this time.

Is this the same stuff as 1080 or a new 3M product? I'm looking at covering a few interior parts in my car and was thinking either the Hexis c/f vinyl or 3M 1080, then stumbled across '3M Scotchcal'

Have used 3M Di-Noc and the cheaper Ebay 3D c/f vinyl in the past but want a more of a sheen to the finish this time.

Griffin, there is no such thing as Scotchcal Carbon Fiber... unluess it is a printed carbon fiber on the scotchcal media. Sounds like there are some people being less than honest with their customers. Also, Scotchcal does not feature the air Compy and Controltac technologies that 1080 does. Basically it is a wet-apply film.

Just got this back from 3M's graphics division:

"ALSO, there is no 3M product called 3M Scotchcal Carbon Fiber. I saw one site show a picture of a 3M liner and a totally non-3M CF pattern in the next photo..."

Guest griffin dai

Griffin, there is no such thing as Scotchcal Carbon Fiber... unluess it is a printed carbon fiber on the scotchcal media. Sounds like there are some people being less than honest with their customers. Also, Scotchcal does not feature the air Compy and Controltac technologies that 1080 does. Basically it is a wet-apply film.

Just got this back from 3M's graphics division:

"ALSO, there is no 3M product called 3M Scotchcal Carbon Fiber. I saw one site show a picture of a 3M liner and a totally non-3M CF pattern in the next photo..."

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Yeah there's one or two 'turds' on ebay selling dodgy vinyl...got ripped off last year after getting 5 meters of 3D C/F vinyl that just bubbled as there was no air channels on the sticky part and had to bin the lot...grrrr!

Whats the thoughts on this stuff below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-Di-Noc-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Sample-10-Pieces-5cm-x-5cm-/120719221533?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1b6d231d#ht_5811wt_962

They list:

Black Matt Carbon as CA-421

Black Glossy Carbon as CA-5434

Black High Glossy Carbon as CA1170

I've always thought it was just the 2 C/F films from 3M (Di-Noc and the newer 1080?)

Might just order a few samples and see how they look/feel.

Archived