upset with a major supplier

Hello everyone. I havent been on in a while but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or if I was the only one. I have many years experience doing ppf both free hand and with kits. I recently decided to give Suntek a try with their new film. We have been using Nano and Venture for the past couple years but started back in the day with Clearshield and 3m. So I open the box from Suntek and the edges look like they used a hot butter knife to cut the roll down. It's absolutely horrible It even makes noise as you unroll it because its melted on the sides. The roll is a 12 x 50 and if you cut the damaged edges off it would leave you with 11.5 inches of usable film. My question is do you just trim the bad off and use the roll or complain? I've never seen this from any of the other manufacturers.

Guest Invisibra.net

I've had chunky edges from just about every manufacturer at one point or another. Not saying that it's ok, but yes, I've seen it before. I think it's when the cutting knife gets dull when the film is being cut down from larger rolls.

I'm sure they will exchange if you ask them.

That's pretty weak if you are concerned over three dollars worth of film you can't use on a roll. I throw ten times that amount in the trash weeding one kit.

Actually not really. If you are using a 12 inch roll it could be for something that fits to the 12" without any space leftover. I cut kits on 12 inch rolls that fit pretty much on the money and cant afford to throw away film that I paid for. Its one thing if you are weeding it out but if it comes off the edges and you are cutting kits its another. Thats one thing that pisses me off about buying film, you pay per square foot you should get what you pay for. There needs to be a little quality control before its sent out. Thats easily catchable. Id ont buy anything else that I expect to not get 5-10% of... gas, food, clothing... so why should this be any different???

Guest Invisibra.net

Don't get me started on the first foot or so that is thrown away because the tape on the roll leaves impressions that look bad on a hood, or the last 2 feet that look bad because it has impressions from being on the inside of every roll also. Add those 3 feet up over ever roll I buy, & it adds up pretty good.

But, the extra 1/2" that you would usually get with the Avery Nano film for free was always a really nice touch. There has been numerous times when 24" wouldn't do it, but 24.5" got the job done! Now, if I could just get ANY Avery at all....

The fragged edges in PPF isn't as bad as when I got them in window tint, which was a pain because the film would shred down into the roll while unrolling the film, ruining it for a foot or two several times down the roll! grrr.

That's pretty weak if you are concerned over three dollars worth of film you can't use on a roll. I throw ten times that amount in the trash weeding one kit.

Actually not really. If you are using a 12 inch roll it could be for something that fits to the 12" without any space leftover. I cut kits on 12 inch rolls that fit pretty much on the money and cant afford to throw away film that I paid for. Its one thing if you are weeding it out but if it comes off the edges and you are cutting kits its another. Thats one thing that pisses me off about buying film, you pay per square foot you should get what you pay for. There needs to be a little quality control before its sent out. Thats easily catchable. Id ont buy anything else that I expect to not get 5-10% of... gas, food, clothing... so why should this be any different???

Actually, really! The rollers on my plotter are a quarter inch wide and there are two of them adding up to a half inch (minimum) loss every time its used. There's no way you can cut a 12 inch pattern on 12 inch film unless you have 12.5 to start with so I don't see a problem if a quarter inch of film is unusable at each edge because I can't use it anyways.

I'm more concerned with BIG issues like lines in the film, cloudy areas or debris fields. I'd gladly give up an inch worth of bad edges if the center is good. If you are bulking 12 inch hoods then trim the edges first, nobodys gonna miss a half an inch on that little coverage anyways.

But, the extra 1/2" that you would usually get with the Avery Nano film for free was always a really nice touch. There has been numerous times when 24" wouldn't do it, but 24.5" got the job done! Now, if I could just get ANY Avery at all....

I wish all ppf suppliers did the same as avery with the added .5" width, It really does help cutting some tight kits.

Archived