wet sanding pics

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That tail gate reflects like the carnival mirrors in the Fun houses"IM not short and fat :lol This shouldnt be attempted without a general knowledge of bodyshop sanding and buffing ,this also takes a lot of practice not to sand corners or dig into paint so never practice on something your not be willing to junk,like tinting the more you do the better you get,also each manufacturer has differant mils of clear on there car, so depending on age and condition you will need a paint gage or a dam good eye :spit:lol

I am just a little curious.. Did you really use an orbital sander to wet sand??? I havent wet sanded but twice so I dont know. It's just that I was told only to do it by hand so you wont get any swirls. It looks good as hell.t ahts why I ask.. and I have a black car that needs it done BAD.. so hell, if I can do it that way I will . have avoided it because hand sanding would take too damn long. let me know what helps. I am ready to get mine started.. thanks for the pics.!

I have painted a few cars in the past. I will only do my own, since it is too much work and I don't enjoy it. When I learned wet-sanding, it improved my amateur paint jobs a lot. The wet-sand/buff job in itself is a very tedious, time consuming process, but worth the extra effort.

Be careful doing it to vehicles that you didn't just paint. If the vehicle's clearcoat is thin, you run the risk of hitting the color. If that happens, you will always see these spots, and they won't buff out as nicely. When I do the paint, I always add a couple extra coats of clear (even though it's expensive as hell), to reduce the risk of this occurring to me.

I have always done my wet-sanding by hand. I can't imagine trusting myself with a DA after doing this expensive paint job.

As I said in earlier post if your not willing to junk it,dont practice this on your car! there is no comparing this to hand sanding as far as technique.Remember if your car isnt a newer model then you need a paint gauge to determine the amount of clear or if a single stage paint how many mils of paint you have to work with before primer or metal.Plus I have over 500.00 in the orbital sander compound pads and disks so its not cheap to do just one car.Practice is a must if not familiar with these tools!! :)

Guest Shadow II

Tint Bandit

I happen to run across this forum, on a search of "wet sanding", in an effort to find out how much cash I would be squeezed for, to get a mirror paint job for a Rolls Royce Shadow II.

I found all your post absolutely amazing. You ARE the man. By the looks of your results, maybe painting can be avoided. What would be your opion of doing the same steps on the finish of the above mentioned car. Rolls has a very quality paint job, and I am thinking, that your technique would truely bring what already is a nice looking but somewhat ageing paint job, into a stunning appearence. Would REALLY like your opinion.

Thanks

Shadow II

:thumb

Archived