Suntek's TruCut pattern software...

Guest Invisibra.net

Guest Invisibra.net

Ok, so I've been using Suntek's TruCut software to make a few kits over the last 45 days or so.

First off, this seems to be one of the very best priced Kit cutting program out there. A $300 one time charge for the software itself, & then $50 a month from then on out. If you cut out 1 pattern a month, it's $50 a month. If you cut out 100 patterns, it's $50 a month. (You probably have to be a Suntek Film user, but I like their film, so no problem there)

Since I do 90% custom installation still, I don't mind paying the $50 a month, even if I don't use the software. But, I've found that having it available is VERY nice. I have been more and more knocking out a pair of headlights, or A-pillars on the software, since those will not show any difference between custom or computer.

Also, I can now offer a discount to my customers who don't want to pay the premium for a custom cut job. I did a BMW X5 a couple days ago, & it took me like 2 or 2.5 hours to do mirrors, headlights, 24" hood, & front bumper. Wow. That would typically take me 5 hours or even a bit more to do. NOW I see why the kits are such a popular item. They only look so-so on the vehicle, compared to my custom install, but this BMW was a lease vehicle, so understandably he didn't want to put top $$ on it.

Now, they are still building the data-base. Sometimes I'll be looking for a vehicle in the system, & it's not in there yet. But, that's the growing pains of a new system. They are updating the database 2 times a week right now. Plus, you can request a certain vehicle, & they will work on getting that pattern built quicker for you.

There are a decent number of cars that have full hoods, rockers, Apillars, roof edge, bumper deck, etc, but sometimes a car will only have hood & fender tips, or maybe just a front bumper. Again, gaps are being filled all the time.

The software itself is just a bit primitive, but I've been told they are working on version 2.0, so it should be better soon. Right now, you CAN edit patterns, but it's not like firing up a full blown sign program and making quick precise adjustments. You can select the front edge of a hood, & use the arrow keys to move it forward in small increments, for a front wrap-over. But you cannot say "move 1/2" and be done with it. You gotta tinker a bit. But, it's easy to remove parking sensor cut-outs, etc.

Another nice feature, is that the patterns are stored locally, on YOUR computer. That means, that if the internet goes down, & you really gotta cut a pattern, you are all good. (It gives you 15 days of no internet connectivity before program locks down)

For security they have you use a USB Dongle. Every time you start the program, it checks in for updates. If you do not have the Dongle in, you can still pull up patterns, in order to see how big a roll of film it will need, for giving quotes, but the 6'th time you click on a pattern, the program will close. No problem, just fire it back up again if you are still looking. Plus, you cannot cut a pattern out if the dongle is not plugged in.

Another cool feature, is that if you have a car you do a lot, you can edit and nest a pattern to be very efficient on like a 30 or 60" roll, and save that nested pattern, again, on your local computer for future use.

Once you select what you want to print out, (Hood, fenders, bumper, headlights, etc) you click on the "Nest" button, & it automatically tucks the pieces on the film blank size you have selected. It does so-so on this. I can usually get more efficient use out of the film by moving, spinning & tucking the film in myself, but at least you can do it the way you want.

So, overall I like having this available. Not perfect yet, but not bad.

Edited by Invisibra.net

Norm, how accurate (alignment wise) would you say the suntek patterns are in comparison to other pattern companies?

XPELs patterns I feel are great. I understand the way the designers mean for them to be installed so I can hit them spot on 99% of the time by reading the pattern correctly. And I also feel that they provide great coverage for protection.

I dont like the fact that the suntek database is a little short on selection, but...I do understand it's a work in progress as well.

BTW....just sent a lady whom recently purchased a Benz ML in the Dallas Forth Worth area your info.....a friend of mine purchased her 2011 Diamond White GL550 that I covered here recently and we recommended you for paint protection installation as she was extremely interested.....hopefully she calls you to schedule if she has not already.

Thanks

~A

Edited by alassing

Guest Invisibra.net

Ah, thank you sir for the referral. I'll look forward to helping her out.

As far as accuracy, be aware that I've still installed about 6 or 7 pre-cut kits total.... I've always done custom by hand.

I've been annoyed by a pattern or two that suntek has, but mostly they seem pretty good so far (As far as patterns go) None of them are designed to roll over edges, so you gotta edit them yourself to do that and it is a bit primitive on the editing side...

since I don't rely on patterns, it does OK for my needs, but might be frustrating to someone who needs more car inventory.

Today, I used the plotter to punch out a Corvette GS 24" hood, fenders mirrors, but bulked the bumper, because I do so many that I got that DOWN. Plus this was a 100'th anniversary, so it had matte finish stripes that had to be cut out also.

Xpel for sure has the best patterns. I just cannot justify the $300 a month minimum as few patterns as I actually use. And I don't like that they charge per pattern also, which could make it go well beyond the $300. On the other hand, one click extended coverage is a nice quick-use feature also...

So far I think Suntek's patterns are very good. I havent found one yet that was off. Xpel has great patterns... but the cost is too much IMHO. I spoke with Proform Designs once and the same pricing applies but you get their patterns and Xpels. So just another option. I also use Enpro's patterns and software and really like them as well. $300 up front fee and free after that. Between the two I have pretty much everything I need and only pay $50 a month... unlimited cuts. By the way you can use any film you want with either company. I am currently using VentureShield and starting off with Suntek. I have to say the Suntek film has a VERY good self healing top coat... and I mean very good. You can scratch it up really well and it heals instantly with warm water. It is also a very easy film to install.

Thanks for the input.

I just try to learn as much as possible about the different companies in this industry so when I get questions from customers I have answers.

Knowledge is power.

~A

Guest Invisibra.net

So far I think Suntek's patterns are very good. I havent found one yet that was off. Xpel has great patterns... but the cost is too much IMHO. I spoke with Proform Designs once and the same pricing applies but you get their patterns and Xpels. So just another option. I also use Enpro's patterns and software and really like them as well. $300 up front fee and free after that. Between the two I have pretty much everything I need and only pay $50 a month... unlimited cuts. By the way you can use any film you want with either company. I am currently using VentureShield and starting off with Suntek. I have to say the Suntek film has a VERY good self healing top coat... and I mean very good. You can scratch it up really well and it heals instantly with warm water. It is also a very easy film to install.

I was informed that the suntek is NOT self healing.

I've seen it self heal. That's all the convincing I need.