hood install with the go pro hero 2

I bought a Contour Hd last year and didn't like it head mount was crappy and features sucked, once I tried a friends go pro hero 2 it had many mounts and features which I liked and ended up buying one the other day. I made my first video installing a hood piece on a customers 2012 Acura MDX picture quality is great.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I have never seen anyone use a cam like this for instaling film.

I have also never seen anyone unrole film like that. Seems to me that the more you lift it up the more chances you have of pulling contamintes up. Do you run into any issues unrolling it like that?

Further in the video I can tell you are using Xpel... by the number of times you have to lift it up.

Interesting. I have never seen anyone use a cam like this for instaling film.

I have also never seen anyone unrole film like that. Seems to me that the more you lift it up the more chances you have of pulling contamintes up. Do you run into any issues unrolling it like that?

Further in the video I can tell you are using Xpel... by the number of times you have to lift it up.

I have been reverse rolling film on vehicles for awhile now and haven't had any bad issues in contamination, I don't reverse roll film all the time when installing the film depending on what car I am working on.. I am just lifting the film up and respraying just to make sure there are no dry areas in the film and repositioning the film in place before I squeege.

Guest Invisibra.net

I think it's a window tinter thing... I've been laying partial film on hoods like that for a LONG time, lol. Except for full hoods, which the wife helps with.

How can you tell that he is using Ultimate Film by how he has to lift it up to respray?

I have to do that with whatever film I use no matter what brand to insure the film is saturated including suntek which Ive tested and tried.

Cooldude. Awesome job !!! Loving the gopro idea.

~A

He's made it a job on here to bash Xpel because he can't figure out how to use it.

Mike - Typical smartass comment... after reading numerous posts of yours I would expect nothing less. I was not bashing Xpel. I simply made an observation by watching the install. I saw the same issues with the Xpel installers too. If I wanted to go bash them trust me I could... it wouldnt be hard. But I have refrained. And if I truly wanted to change the way I install film after 9 years of being successful, then I would. Why should every installer have to change the way they install when it is a film issue??? I mean I dont have any issues with any other film out there... so that should say enough.

The reason why I know it was Xpel was once it is sprayed well you shouldnt have to relift that often to move the film. If you were using a spray bottle then I could maybe see it but with as much water as you use you shouldnt have to. I use about the same amount of water when I install and I might lift once. The more you lift the more you have to worry about contamination... especially when your a mobile installer.

I've had multiple customers that reference this website when their doing research and have said they were not looking for Xpel because of all these adhesive problems everyone complains about. I guess I just need to keep reminding them that just because someone else can't better themself to use it doesn't mean they're going to see problems. Look if everyone has severe problems I can get it but if only some people see it as a problem I think it's time we drop this Xpel=garbage nonsense.

Sorry to tell you this but it isnt one person having these problems. Its numerous installers. Its enough that they have finally started looking at getting another adhesive fro the film... but look how much complaining it took. Its ridiculous that an installer has to go all the way to San Antonio to learn how to use one film because the adhesive is too sensitive. I had told them in the past this was an issue with the last line of film with the same repsonse... the installer needs to learn how to use the film. Well no sorry, the installer is the customer and the customer should get what they want. IF I went into a car dealership and bought a car that had steering problems do you think I should have to go to a school to learn how to re-adjust to those steering problems or should the company FIX the steering problem? Hmmm, thats a no brainer. But the arrogance I have seen is what pushed me over the edge. I brought up numerous issues from cost, to adhesive, to pattern databse pricing... and I was given an explanation that I thought was pretty poor. Since we are on the subject though Suntek (who's self healing top coat works VERY well) was given some feedback regarding their adhesive. Guess what? They changed it within a month based off the installers recommendation. Now their adhessive is very user friendly... and not only that but if you get a work mark in it... it will simply go away after a few hours. That was my issue with Xpel Ultimate as I would get work marks in it from not lifting it up 15 times and respraying and work marks would appear. As a mobile installer I sometimes take jobs that are 100-200 miles from where I am based out of. Do you think I want to work with a film that has adhesive issues, could force me to make another trip to reapply the film, and loose even more money on the install (high cost of material is the first reason for loss)? Umm no. I will buy the product that actually works as advertised, doesnt cost me an arm and a leg to purchase, and is much more user friendly with better customer service.

I didnt want to vent all of this but you went down that road. These are my opinions based off using both films and speaking with people from both comapnies in the process. I have also talked to numerous other installers having the same issues... and seen posts on here of people flying in for training. So I have some knowledge to base my opinion off of.

Archived