Another noob?

Hand cutting roughly how many cars could you get out of a 40"x20' or even 40"x100'? Could you get more with a plotter per roll? I'm considering buying a 40" plotter and some software in the future.....maybe? All comments are welcome

I figure high, say the average car uses (based on a 40" roll) 6' for the roll downs, 1' for the quarters & 5' for the back window, that gives you a total of 12' per car. So as no math expert I'd guess you would get some where around 8-10 (full) cars out of a 40"X100' roll.

I don't think you would get more with a plotter, & even if you did say get a couple extra feet per 100' roll are those couple feet worth buying a plotter & computer software? No.

Enjoy!

Hand cutting roughly how many cars could you get out of a 40"x20' or even 40"x100'? Could you get more with a plotter per roll? I'm considering buying a 40" plotter and some software in the future.....maybe? All comments are welcome

40"x20' for a noob = sides or one with seamed back glass (depends on vehicle type)

40"x20' for a seasoned installer = sides down one four door and a pick up truck.

40"x100' for a noob = 1-5

40"x100' for seasoned installer = 7-8 depending on vehicle types

Plotters are best for:

Noobs who recognize they'll never be able to cut a straight line but sure can slap them papers up.

High volume shops catering to car dealers or the public

Car dealers who bring tinting ih-house

Small operators who like all the bells and whistles a plotter might offer

Savvy marketing types who charge more for the 'custom/hand cut' and only have the plotter for consumers who want a price break.

I think it's necessary to be able to hand cut, but I'm getting a plotter next week and if the patterns fit well, it's a no brainer. If you're in business to make money (as all business owners are, lol) and have any kind of volume at all, I think it's necessary. If you're happy with doing 3 cars a day forever and never plan to expand and own multiple shops, etc. then a plotter is useless I guess.

Anyhow, I use around 10-12' per car, so around 8-10 cars as stated. I think with a plotter I'll get one more car out of a roll, because it doesn't cut a bunch of excess like I would. The extra couple bills from a car per roll pays for the plotter and software.

Anyhow, I use around 10-12' per car, so around 8-10 cars as stated. I think with a plotter I'll get one more car out of a roll, because it doesn't cut a bunch of excess like I would. The extra couple bills from a car per roll pays for the plotter and software.

If anything a plotter will use a bit more film then you are using now. I would say instead of getting an extra car you might end up getting 1 less car out of a roll. Most plotter software I have seen wastes alot of film to cut the quarter windows, and over the course of a whole roll could account for losing about 5 or 6 feet. However what you will make up in speed not hand cutting everything should out weight what film you lose.

Yeah I can ussualy get a sedan with 20"x10' and 40"x5'.

You should consider dropping 20inch film and just using 40 inch. Same amount of film with less film to keep in stock. :thumb

I prefer having a 20 for sides rather than splitting a 40 all day. Just a bit quicker IMHO. But hey, I'm lazy. I work real hard and fast so I can go home and relax. :)

Archived