Vinyl "scratching"?

Hey guys, just getting into vinyl. I've wrapped a few little things on a few cars, and today I was practicing on a spoiler. The garage bay was taken so I was working outside (about 40 degrees out today). My mactac and my felt edge hard card seemed to be almost scratching the tint. Everywhere I went with the squeegee you could see lines. I'm using Avery supreme wrapping film, matte black. I've used this same roll of vinyl on other things with the same squeegees with no problems, think it's temp related? And I can't tell if it's in the adhesive or on the surface, will it go away? Thanks!

ive seen gloss black vinyls real prone to scratching, no matter what brand it is. matte materials usually dont scratch that easily. have you tried going over the scratches with a heat gun. I know that works on avery supreme gloss if I get some light scratches from a squeegee. do you have any pictures of it?

I've used oracal 970ra gloss black, & 3m 1080 gloss black, felt tip squeegie wet, dishwashing soap and warm water sprayed on surface, and yes it will still scratch during installation. I find when using gloss black vinyl it's good to not squeegie it too hard, just get it to lay in the position you want it in, yes corners you gotta squeegie them with some pressure and areas that have curves. then go back and heat up the surface and press out all the air bubbles. this I found reduces the amount of scratches greatly. then I usually heat check the entire thing and heat up the scratches, and yes, most smaller scratches will go away. lastly I go over the surface with plexus plastic polish and it pretty much hides/polishes the surface to the point you would only see small scratches if you were 5" from the area.

this is from my experiance in wrapping car, roofs, hoods, mirror caps.

All, We've been trying to put up a video for some time regarding some roller tools that we offer, but still have not had the chance...

On the 2nd to the last page of our tool catalog, you will see 3 rollers. The first one (ROLLER-RPD), almost completely eliminates the need for a traditional hard card squeege (Except for some of the more contour surfaces and edges). With this tool you should be able to produce a 100% scratch free roof, hood, door panel, etc. The combination of this one and the 2 smaller rollers will aid in more contour areas.

The key is that the roller will push the film down as you roll over it, where a traditional hard card creates friction. The foam roller also provides enough pressure to fully remove any air beneath the film.

Here's the link to our tool catalog: http://aerotectfilms.com/Installation-Tools.html

Mike (and all, really), if you are ever in the area, you are more than welcome to stop by to try them out, otherwise I'd be happy to swing by on my next trip down to San Diego.

Guest wecomeclean

Use a cloth and mild soap and water. when you fill in the scratch, you don't want to seal any dirt in there. you also don't want to seal up any moisture, so make sure to let the spot dry completely.

Archived