Tricky issue with rear defroster

I did some tint on an '02 Impala a few months ago. They came back because the rear defroster didn't work. I had bumped a tab, and it was barely hanging on. I glued it back on, and they still don't work. I metered them out, and the connection wasn't perfect, so I reglued it again...... Now the connection is perfect, but they still don't work.

I'm an electrical guy by trade, so I'm just wondering if anyone has ran across this before. Specifically, does the BCM shut down the ground wire on coil side of the defogger relay if the grid circuit isn't complete?

The relay is good, the self-resetting breaker is good. There is no power after the relay. When I ran a fused lead from the input (30) of the relay to the output (87) I get 12v at the grid. When I switch on the defroster with the button in the dash, I get nothing at pins 85 and/or 86.

total mystery. It would seem the switch is bad, but how is that possible when all I did was knock of a tab and reglue it?

Oh Mylanta.....

The BCM turns off key circuits when it determines the alternator cannot keep up with the load. As soon as it ran for a little bit, the circuit kicked on.......

GAY.

That was a time-consuming learning experience. I should pull the old dealership method and bill them for some parts I didn't need.....

Guest tint whisperer

don't know what all that other stuff is about, but you cannot use any glue. there is a special type your have to use...ask your local glass shop guy for it.

Oh Mylanta.....

The BCM turns off key circuits when it determines the alternator cannot keep up with the load. As soon as it ran for a little bit, the circuit kicked on.......

GAY.

That was a time-consuming learning experience. I should pull the old dealership method and bill them for some parts I didn't need.....

Time comsuming? It took you only 15 min from your first post to your last...Are you sure you just didn't wanna talk to yourself? Don't you have to solder those back on to make them work or is there really a glue you can use?

One time I tried to solder the tab back on, but I didn't have the testicular fortitude to get the glass hot enough. I'll try it again some day.

Do you know what the 'special glue' is they sell at the store? super glue with a little copper mixed it. I have used conductive grease on the pad, and CA'd the perimeter before with no issues. This time, I did use the 'special' stuff.

One time I tried to solder the tab back on, but I didn't have the testicular fortitude to get the glass hot enough. I'll try it again some day.

Do you know what the 'special glue' is they sell at the store? super glue with a little copper mixed it. I have used conductive grease on the pad, and CA'd the perimeter before with no issues. This time, I did use the 'special' stuff.

What is the "special glue you use called? I would like to get a bottle for emergencies

Archived