Back In Business - Few questions for the Experienced

I've been out of the business for about 12 or so years. I've been reading alot of everyones posts on here and watching some videos. I must say, things have changed a little since I was last installing. Tools have changed, techniques are different and cars have definatley changed. I'm getting back into the business on a part time basis since alot of people from the past have asked me "who do I know that tints windows" I figured, why turn away money.

These may be simple questions for most of you but I'm just looking for some tips/advice more than anything. I know everyone has certain ways to do things and some work better than others but I'm open to any comments.

Here are my questions:

1) When you trim out your roll ups, do you trim one side then pull back to the other side and trim to leave about an 1/8th inch on each side? \

2) When cutting the side windows, how much does everyone leave on the bottom to go under the seal? I'm sure this depends on the vehicle but I'm just looking for in general.

3) What do you do if after install on a side window you still end up with fingers on the bottom? This is even after shrinking before install.

4) I've seen alot of questions and comments about pulling door panels. Back in the day I don't ever remember pulling panels. We used to just push the seals down then after a couple of days the client could just roll the windows up and the seals would return to normal. Is this a car by car thing or a personal thing?

One last thing, I did actually do my first vechile yesterday. Just two front doors on a 2012 Chevy. I used Global NR Charcoal QDP 20% to match. Turned out good but I forgot to shrink the passangers window before install(hence my question above.This was my first window). It only took me 2.5 hours!!! Just a little rusty but it started coming back to me after a little while. I was impressed that I had no dirt or anything under the film but no happy about the fingers. My buddy was happy and I told him if he wasn't I would redo it. Here's a pic:

53421793-457D-41DD-BE5E-8B5BCC1EC961-3765-0000043FAD0AF7D7.jpg

I also did my wifes new 2013 Hyundai Tucson. Seals are tight on this one. I used SunTek HP 20% on her's since I'm trying out different films to see what I like. It turned out ok but even with shrinking I still got fingers. I will say it didn't shrink as well as the Global. She already left for work so I can't get you any pictures right now.

Thanks in advance for everyone's responses and comments. I'm looking forward to hear what people have to say!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nordfink

Similar situation, took about 10 yrs off...any way...1: 1/8 inch extra on each side, (give or take) to tuck into sides. 2: everybody does it different, I try for about an inch,, sometimes more. 3: shrink on inside. 4: I don't pull panels, lots of people do, preference is up to you. These are my ways and I'm sure there are others, good luck!

Cars in general have gotten much easier to take apart as well as tint.

Windows have less curve then they did 12 years ago for sure. My only suggestion would be to find a film with a more aggressive adhesive. This should help you not have so many fingers pop backup.

Other then that welcome back to the game :cool

Similar situation, took about 10 yrs off...any way...1: 1/8 inch extra on each side, (give or take) to tuck into sides. 2: everybody does it different, I try for about an inch,, sometimes more. 3: shrink on inside. 4: I don't pull panels, lots of people do, preference is up to you. These are my ways and I'm sure there are others, good luck!

Thanks for the comments. I'm curious, I don't ever remember trying to shrink the tint on the inside after it's installed. Won't this melt the film even if you just apply a little heat? Thanks again for the reply.

Just curious, how did you find it getting back into it after such a long time away?

Windows have less curve then they did 12 years ago for sure. My only suggestion would be to find a film with a more aggressive adhesive. This should help you not have so many fingers pop backup.

My bet is he needs to back off the soap. Welcome :beer

Thanks for the comments. I'm curious, I don't ever remember trying to shrink the tint on the inside after it's installed. Won't this melt the film even if you just apply a little heat? Thanks again for the reply.

Just curious, how did you find it getting back into it after such a long time away?

I shrink on the outside, but no, it won't instantly melt.

It's like riding a bike :thumb

Thanks for the comments. I'm trying a few new films. As mentioned, I've used te Global, SunTek and I also have some Madico as well to try. What films have a more aggressive adhesive?

It's good to hear that cars have gotten easier!!!

lostinbama - Thanks for replys. Your comment just made me think if I did have to much soap in my bottle. I have a Acadia this morning to do. Just to the two front doors. My neighbor wants his wifes car done. The best part he wants to match the back which is illegal in IL but he's a cop, who am I to question! I will try and little less soap on this one and see how it works. It's a little colder up here in the Chicago area, although today it's going to be almost 60! If I remember correctly, colder=less soap, warmer=more soap.

Archived