Back In Business - Few questions for the Experienced

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just so you know....it is Illegal to tint the fronts to match factory back in Illinois STILL! 50% is the limit on that application!

where are you located?

Ryker - yep I know it's illegal. The funny part is one of the cars I did was for my neighbor who's a cop. He knew it and didn't care. In fact every car ive done wanted it to match. They have all been told its illegal but dont seem to care. My personal vehicles are all tinted. My truck is limo all the way around, my cadi is 20% all the way around and my Audi is 35% all the way around. I have never been pulled over in all the years ive owned my vehicles. I should probably mention that I have a doctors note for my cars so even if I did get pulled over it wouldn't matter for me.. At least Up here the cops look for the cars like Camaros, Mustangs, and any other one they can tack on more tickets too. I'm up in northern Illinois. Plus, these are all friends cars and their happy to get their windows tinted.

Do you have any recommendations for my slip issue?

I shrink Chevy/ GMC truck door glasses on the outside.... just an FYI.

If you are still getting fingers it is your squeegeeing technique when applying the film. You can actually push fingers into the film if you are not squeegeeing the film correctly when applying. It just takes practice. And if you have been out of tinting for awhile, well, it will come back eventually.

Slip is a personal preference... just keep trying until you find the amount that works for you. Honestly, I do not think to much slip will cause fingers. It will cause your film to move erratically and make it hard to keep it where you want it. Not enough slip will cause the film to stick when you do not want it to!

Good luck to you!

Texastintchick - thanks for the advice. It's slowly coming back to me. Back then I don't remember having a blue max and some of the other squeegees. lol. I have shrunk every window I've done since the Chevy truck and have had no issues with fingers since shrinking.

I have been told by a few people that they don't shrink Chevy's windows either. But I had that one that got a couple of small fingers and when I shrank the other side I had no fingers. Maybe it's the Global film? I did see that customer at bowling a few days after I tinted his truck and he said they laid down and you couldn't even see any remants of them being there. I guess all ends well!

Not for nothing, but please keep it legal, even if no one 'seems to care'. Guys worked hard to get the law changed there, and now it's reasonable, please don't screw it up by disregarding the law.

The last thing this industry needs is guys working out of their garage, undercutting legitimate shops and doing illegal work.

Don't take this the wrong way, just my two cents. :twocents

Not for nothing, but please keep it legal, even if no one 'seems to care'. Guys worked hard to get the law changed there, and now it's reasonable, please don't screw it up by disregarding the law.

The last thing this industry needs is guys working out of their garage, undercutting legitimate shops and doing illegal work.

Don't take this the wrong way, just my two cents. :twocents

TD - I get it. Trust me I get it. Since I'm just getting back into this business and times have changed, so must I. Since I'm just doing this part time right now and doing friends and family's cars I'm pretty sure I'm good with what I've done to date. Although that doesn't mean things can't happen and my ulitmate goal is to make all clients aware of the new IL law.

Just for background, my day job is selling Professional Liability Insurance for one of the largest insurance brokerage firms in the world. I've been doing it for the last 11 years. For those that don't what this is, think of doctors malpractice coverage. I protect business's and their employees for their Errors or Omissions they make in their professional service. Now for a window tinter this may not be something they would consider. Why, this coverage is typically not cheap but it is something that is available. Even if you do everything by the book(law), you could still be found liable even though you did nothing wrong. I've been involved in suits before and even though I had documentation and proof that our company did nothing wrong our insurance carrier paid the claimant over $100K just to make it go away. So all I'm saying is, we can all do legal work all day long but no matter what, some case law or other precedent will dictate if you or your company is liable for what you put on a customers car. Even if it's legal, it still doesn't mean you can't be liable.

I'll do some more checking and report back if I can find any case law on this or if our attorney has information he can share with the group.

Archived