Freehand Tinting

:blink  Holy crap.  I thought I was a decent tinter till I found this thread.  Gee thanks for bringing it up Rudy :bat  

You've got skillz, by the way :yep  

TintDude , you too DAYUM!!  :thumb  :krazy 

Enlighten me on how many layers and shades of film some of this took.  Is this film on top of film or film cut out around film??  

Do you install a piece and then cut it out, if free handing, or try to do it light a plotter would??  

Forgive the Noobness, but this SHIYAT is COOL y'all  !!   :notwrthy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink  Holy crap.  I thought I was a decent tinter till I found this thread.  Gee thanks for bringing it up Rudy :bat

You've got skillz, by the way :yep

TintDude , you too DAYUM!!   :thumb   :krazy

Enlighten me on how many layers and shades of film some of this took.  Is this film on top of film or film cut out around film??  

Do you install a piece and then cut it out, if free handing, or try to do it light a plotter would??  

Forgive the Noobness, but this SHIYAT is COOL y'all  !!   :notwrthy

Well as stated this artwork is not done by me but my cousin who does this on free time, but I'm in the process of learning it as well! 

And all this is multi layered, from what I'm learning is to stencil/sketch out on paper and place behind your glass so its some type of guideline. Then start laying film and cut away. 

Next time I see him I'll have to get a photo of his recent work, he's lately incorporated objects such as a bat coming out of the glass for a couple of LA dodger pieces he's working on. 

I was, and I stress was, a decent cartoonist type drawer when I was younger, and have thought about trying something like this. I would love to work with someone who does this as well as your cousin(and TD apparently)  because the process seems rather involved and easy to get wrong.  

Again :cool  VERY NICE WORK!!  

I was, and I stress was, a decent cartoonist type drawer when I was younger, and have thought about trying something like this. I would love to work with someone who does this as well as your cousin(and TD apparently)  because the process seems rather involved and easy to get wrong.  

Again :cool  VERY NICE WORK!!  

You know where you should start off? Go to a local glass company and see if they have any spare 12x12 glass panes and start by doing simple designs/logos, practice multilayering and adjusting so you can see how it'll work for you on a larger scale. Looking forward to see your work once you put hands to it! 

And thank you, Sir!

You can get them from a number of places. Check on any window film companies website and look under decorative, as it'll most likely be located under that category. From a previous customer we had for a green film Wintech has some colored films http://www.wintechusa.com/product/Decorative/Color

Archived