Questions about PPF

Hey folks,

Just wanted to pick your ear for a moment,,,, I have been a tinter for over 20 years and never dove into the world of PPF but I was thinking of doing some of my truck with a some I purchased from my distributor. Anyways, I am not looking to get into the biz but was wondering if someone could give me some insite or point me in a direction I could do some reading up on it to see if maybe I could put it on myself. I have done some searching and not really found anything helpful in the ways of what to use to install it and so forth. I noticed from some videos that people use different slip and also alcohol solutions which is different from the slip used on window film. Anyways just thought I would see if someone could give me a little direction to attempt to put it on my truck. Worse case scenario if it doesn't look good I can always just pull it off but thought I would give it a try since I had some.

PS one other question....when putting this stuff on I take it you cant seam or butt it if you were trying to do a larger area?

Thanks for the info or direction in advance.

You can seam ppf, but I can tell you that you'd much rather get a 60" wide piece so that you don't have to. As for installation tips, just keep the adhesive well-lubed to avoid any "silvering," and if you get any cosmetic imperfections in the adhesive, lift the film up rub the adhesive, re-wet, and try again. Each film company's adhesive is going to be a little different, so I would check with the distributor for the recommended solutions for your particular film.

Definitely not easy to install, but with your experience at reading film, you may be able to knock it out. Just ditch the heat gun and stretch those wrinkles out!

Thanks for the info Jeff....Havent played with this sample roll I got but wanted to try some on my own truck. I figure worst case scenerio I will have to pull it off. Anyways thanks again for the input. I will let ya know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info Jeff....Havent played with this sample roll I got but wanted to try some on my own truck. I figure worst case scenerio I will have to pull it off. Anyways thanks again for the input. I will let ya know how it turns out.

So how did it go for your first time installing?

Archived