Any sugestions please

Howdy. Firstly would like to say sorry for the big paragraph. My enter key wont work on the site. Tried for the first time some 1080 carbon. Man I had a hard time and the picture shows. This happened to me twice. Firstly, I tried this on my own. Secondly, It was pretty cold in the workshop (I just bought some radiant heaters to set up). My biggest problem was as soon as the vinyl touched the paint it really stuck to it. I had to put in a fair amount of force to lift it and so it ripped. The bonnet was cold. Could this be the problem with it sticking so quickly or is that just the characteristics of the 1080 series?Any advice would be great for this newby.1080Carbon2JPG_zps4341b42d.jpeg

how are you starting the install? On a lot of the paint wrap films it helps if you use the hinge method and only do a section at a time. We usually peel the middle on hoods, about a 12in section from top of the hood to bottom, set that, then peel one side and with even pressure pull/stretch the film over the hood and rub down usually with a wrap glove. You will have to go over it with harder pressure but just to start the wrap glove is easy pressure and you generally can pull the film back up if you are only tacking lightly.

On the above car, we would have just rubbed down a section at a time. So middle, then the the hood scoop, then so on. One side at a time. Don't be afraid to stretch it without heat to get it to down. Also install temp should be around 75-80 degrees max imo. We only really hit it with heat on the parts we stretch in or to go around curves. The wrap film is pretty easy to tear at high temps, but just at room temp at 75 or so it is really easy to work with. It is a pressure sensitive, so the stretch in place method gives you a little play.

let me find some pics of my car and see if i got any of the steps pictured.

oh and wrap magnets are worth their weight in gold, although they won't work on every car :)

oh and the textured films are a bit more of a pita than most other films in the 1080 line.

Start. Can't really tell yet, but the middle 8inches is peeled off the back. You can do this a few ways, you can score it lightly on the paper or just fold/tear it.

photo_zps6047a6b7.jpg

Section at a time, stretch into place/glove it then mactac it or felted hardcard. No heat at all till the post heat and the very edges of the front of the hood.

photo_zps1650c818.jpg

Finished product.

431824_10200252912907690_699489209_n_zpsfeba8ce2.jpg

hope that helps :) This is hexis carbon black film.

Guest illmatic

Howdy. Firstly would like to say sorry for the big paragraph. My enter key wont work on the site. Tried for the first time some 1080 carbon. Man I had a hard time and the picture shows. This happened to me twice. Firstly, I tried this on my own. Secondly, It was pretty cold in the workshop (I just bought some radiant heaters to set up). My biggest problem was as soon as the vinyl touched the paint it really stuck to it. I had to put in a fair amount of force to lift it and so it ripped. The bonnet was cold. Could this be the problem with it sticking so quickly or is that just the characteristics of the 1080 series?Any advice would be great for this newby.1080Carbon2JPG_zps4341b42d.jpeg

you should of only peel half then do the other half so it won't sit. remember you are alone.

Archived