question on dual pane, low e and window film

ok guys, i am trying to get educate on dual pane vs low e dual pane vs window film. i live in san diego and about 80 percents of homes were built in before the 1980. with that being said, a lot of people need window film to block out heat. but with clients are switching to dual pane and all the flipping homes and new construction are pretty much dual pane standard, i need to be a little more educate on the performance between these three products and explain to customers what they are getting. is there any articles or studies on heat rejection and insulation comparison between these product. it would be even better if they have a price comparison. I actually just purchase a house built in the late 80's and I am planning to do total demolition on the house. and I am shopping on windows myself as a consumer and wondering the same thing. should i put on dual pane, which one? how much heat it's going to reject? how good is sound insulation and heat insulation during the winter? should i put film on top of that? these are the question going through my head and i am sure people looking to lower their energy bill would wonder the same. so if someone can clarify this, i would greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

ok guys, i am trying to get educate on dual pane vs low e dual pane vs window film. i live in san diego and about 80 percents of homes were built in before the 1980. with that being said, a lot of people need window film to block out heat. but with clients are switching to dual pane and all the flipping homes and new construction are pretty much dual pane standard, i need to be a little more educate on the performance between these three products and explain to customers what they are getting. is there any articles or studies on heat rejection and insulation comparison between these product. it would be even better if they have a price comparison. I actually just purchase a house built in the late 80's and I am planning to do total demolition on the house. and I am shopping on windows myself as a consumer and wondering the same thing. should i put on dual pane, which one? how much heat it's going to reject? how good is sound insulation and heat insulation during the winter? should i put film on top of that? these are the question going through my head and i am sure people looking to lower their energy bill would wonder the same. so if someone can clarify this, i would greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

If you check NFRC #'s...

• Single pane clear has U factor of around 1.06 (+/-)
  • Dual pane clear has U factor around .48 (+/-)
  • Single pane clear with high performing 70% low E film comes in around .74 (+/-)
  • Dual pane clear with high performing 70% low E film would be around .57 (+/-)

You can see that a move to a clear IGU is a big improvement, placing 70% low E on that clear IGU doesn't buy you any more U factor but it will reduce the solar heat gain %. So why buy a much more expensive low E film? Especially in San Diego?

I would retro the glass to a good clear IGU (or surface 2 low E if it doesn't cost much) then put your favorite solar film du jour on and enjoy the better ROI. :twocents

Archived